Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cuba’s Jardines de la Reina is on my bucket list.

IMHO diving in Caribbean is mediocre. I’ve been to Bonaire, Utila, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Tobago. They are not the Indo-pacific kind of diving, but diving in Half Moon Caye surprises me.

Yep Cuba is on my list too, glad to hear there is still some quality diving in the Caribbean. Thanks for the trip report and look forward to your Cuba report!

Reactions: Dan
I wish I could put Cuba on my list, but I can't... it would be the same as putting Iran on my bucket list.

I wish I could put Cuba on my list, but I can't... it would be the same as putting Iran on my bucket list.

No, it’s not the same. Putting politics aside, I’ve been diving in Musandam, across the Strait of Hormuz from Iran. Cuba would be much better from what I have seen.

Check this out:

Repetitive and you'd get bored. The BA3 or 4 I am sure would provide you a much better experience. But if you have a non diving wife or kid, the island would be a nice option, even though theres not much to do on it.

Well, that depends on what is one's definition of not much to do.

If you have a limited budget, you may find that there's not much to do.

Thanks for the compliments.

1) I went to this resort instead of liveaboard because spouses of my 3 dive buddies are non-divers.

2) Yes. I chose to do 2 morning dives and relax in the afternoon this time. I learnt later that February is windy season which makes surface a bit choppy and surging. I don't think it'll be safe to do a night dive with limited visibility. @chillyinCanada says June would be less windy, so it would better to do the night dive then.

3) Yes, but the water visibility is not so good, kind of greenish. No sand flea bit me, then. I guess the breeze helped. I know I'm a magnet to sand fleas (no-see-um). I was bitten up badly when I was in Utila. That's the reason I don't want to go to Roatan. I heard it's just as bad as Utila.

4) The non-diving spouses enjoyed the trip. Some of them were repeat visitors.

Dan, I believe that you will enjoy a live aboard or even a stay out at a resort at the Atolls better than staying in town.

Are your friends planning a return trip any month other than February?

You really did have disappointing viz. I've never been snorkeling off of Ramon's dock when it wasn't clear as can be. True there are no formations because it is the end of a dock but there are normally a plethora of fish, crabs etc., and even the occasional bullshark to be seen. As for myself, I'm fine with not having seen the bullshark.

I know that due to masking regulations etc. at this time, it's more difficult, but there are other docks that have (or used to have) large concrete perforated bells set in the water, to provide homes for the fish and to attract corals. It's been many many years since I've been snorkeling off of those docks so not sure of their status due to hurricanes and such.

May be in June when it’ll be less windy, which would also improve visibility.

True, but with that comes more biting insects.

I have mastered how do deal with them, though one must be diligent.

Hmm, I don’t like to hear that. It reminds me of my Utila nightmare.

I've never found it to be as bad. I haven't been to Utila but I have left Roatan a time or two, looking like I had chicken pox.

There are some wonderful things to see in Belize, that aren't diving.

That said, as a single, it should be easy to get aboard one of the liveaboards, almost whenever you want to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom