Belize Feb 2010 Where to rent equip and dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinh

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We have chartered a 40ft catamaran and are sailing where ever we wish from Placencia Belize Feb 6-12-2010. We are first looking for dive shop that rents equipment looking to rent for this entire week. Secondly we would like to know the "not to be missed" dives or snorkel sites around Placencia Belize. We will not be taking the time to go to Blue Hole. Thank you for your suggestions and directions on this matter--Kevin and crew.

If the cat is being rented in Belize I don't think TMM nor Moorings will allow you to go outside the Barrier Reef unless you hire a local captain. Many sailboats come to our dock and that's what I've been told. If that's the case you are limited to where you can go. However there is great diving around the faros inside the reef near Placencia. Laughing Bird Caye, I've also had some great dives near Mosquito Caye, Long Coco, and Moho but that was in my Open Water days.

we have chartered from Moorings in Placencia. I recently read it is "illegal NOT to have a registered guide" when diving. Is that true?? Thanks for the suggestions and more now that you know we are using The Moorings-i should have mentioned that the first time.

Very good point. You are required to have a local DM/Inst who is also a licensed tour guide. You really don't have to go far fro the Placencia area for great diving and snorkeling. I am sure there are several resorts n the area who can provide a day's service when you are in there vicinity. When sailboats come down from San Pedro they stop by Caye Caulker and by us when they are looking to do some diving. You can also hire a DM/Instr to be on the boat with you as well. Enjoy your sailing!!

You might consider going north up to Thatch Caye. they can take you out for dives in the Salt Water Caye area and i am sure you can rent gear from them for a short time. I have seen several Cats stop by there resort just to get AIR and bit to eat. You do need a registered Tour Guide to dive in Belize. (or so the government says)
Typical rental costs for a full set of gear runs 25/30 US a day here + tank rental

Splash Dive Shop can meet you at your cat inside the barrier reef and take you do dive sites. Splash does this on a regular basis. Most popular dive sites are Laughing Bird Caye and Silk Cayes, both of which are inside the barrier reef. Both cayes are fine for snorkel trips, Laughing Bird (national marine park) has some good diving. Diving at Silk is on the barrier reef so you need to hook up with a local dive shop (unless your charter company allows you to take the cat outside the barrier reef or you have a local captain). Glovers Reef has the best diving and that is well outside the barrier reef and Splash can arrange that with you. Splash can provide equipment, tanks, dive master or instructor as desired. You can contact Splash at Splashbelize.com.

Some of the better diving I did inside the reef off Placencia is Rendezvous Caye. (Not the one up near Manatee off Gales Point). It's about 6 miles or so east NE of Moho Caye. You cross the Victoria Channel and reach this little set of cayes where there is beautiful white sand and nice sloping walls. I saw a lot of big fish around that area when I was spearing (free diving) down there. I also scuba dived that area
The vis isn't bad. It's kind of on the way towards Gladden so the farther you get out that way, the nicer the water. But still, it's not as good as outside the reef. It bottoms out at about 80 feet or so everywhere inside the reef except for a few areas in the Victoria Channel.
There is a long reef from just north of Moho from Baker's Rendezvous north to Crawl Caye. There are some good spots along there too. Crawl Caye has lots of fish around it but the vis usually isn't that good there.
Once you come more north though up towards Southwater Caye, you won't find water that deep inside the reef. If you can't get outside the reef to dive, stay in that area off Placencia to dive.

I've always assumed Ralph Capeling (above) is, though it would be nice if he were to publicly declare himself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom