Belize: Death of Corey Monk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I used to dive this way down there I don't find it strange either. Smart? No. And I only did it in daylight and would not have been comfortable draining a tank at more than 100'. But I do understand the freedom of diving without anything but a backpack and tank. In any case, as has been pointed out, we have no idea if this contributed to his death.

Hi John, remember me? (Keith)

Thank you for speaking the obvious. I just got back to the states and have been reading these mindless postings about Ginge from people who neither knew him, nor knew the divesite, nor seem to know the basic fact that things happen when we're diving.

Let me add this about Ginge, as I had to train him for the video business on the ship before I had to leave for the states;

On the day that I was leaving the ship, Ginge was robbed of a large sum of money that he had been saving for a long time. Even after his loss, he had the selfless heart to offer me $100 to stay at a safe hotel till my flight the next day. Ginge NEVER complained, argued, or whined about anything he was asked to do on the ship. I've seen Ginge teach several different courses to guests, volunteer as a buddy and dive guide, and in all his hard work and ethics, have no reason to suspect that he is in any way 'unsafe' or 'unfit' for his work.

I laugh at all the gossip and false statements on these boards. Don't get me wrong, there are some genuinely good divers writing on these boards, and some helpful threads, but what I've read so far about the Nekton Pilot and what I know about working on it, I've learned to take everything with an ounce of discernment in here.

By the way John, I hope all is going well with you on that other big white boat sharing the moorings in Belize. You are truly an inspiring crew member, and great example for those who work with you. In case you haven't seen me on deck of the Pilot lately, its because I'm on the Rorqual till I'm needed elsewhere, or at least till I figure out what I want to do with my new life...still working on that one.

Faithfully,

-Keith 2.0 new, improved, and now with flavor crystals!

Maybe you could explain why?

Your position on solo night dives is akin to the smoker who has been smoking 20 years and says, hell, there is nothing wrong with smoking. Look at me, I've done it for 20 years and no ill health. Well, Mike, we now know, it not a question of IF, but when, it will kill him. You keep doing solo night dives and maybe one night................... :(

Ayisha - "..... I have forgotten my depth guage on exactly that kind of site and finished the dive knowing that the sand was no deeper than 60 feet. ...."

I'm not making judgements here - I don't solo dive and won't comment on that aspect but you can't say "the sand was no deeper than 60 feet" when he could (and apparenty did) flip over the bottomless wall. I'm sorry, but who in their right mind doesn't bother to have a depth guage unless you know the absolute bottom limit of your dive (i.e, the buck stops here FOR SURE)?

I'm curious why you think most posters don't "have a clue" about diving. I was on the trip that lost Cory and the whole trip was a disaster. The diving wasn't that good, the accommodations were not as expected and the level of safety was non-existant once you entered the water. We were not given information about Cory either at the time or afterwards. I tried to find info through Belize media to no avail. I had always heard Nekton was a great liveaboard but I certainly was mislead. Used to go with the Bottom Time II in Bahamas and that was much better in all ways even though it wouldn't make the list of favorite liveaboards for most top 10s. What liveaboard do you recommend for Bahamas/Caribbean?

The diving wasn't that good, the accommodations were not as expected and the level of safety was non-existant once you entered the water.

I hate to do anything that keeps this thread alive without any new information about Cory, but, I'm a little bit curious with the portion I bolded in the quote above. I believe once I hit the water, my safety is my responsibility. Would you care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by MikeFerrara
Maybe you could explain why?

Your position on solo night dives is akin to the smoker who has been smoking 20 years and says, hell, there is nothing wrong with smoking. Look at me, I've done it for 20 years and no ill health. Well, Mike, we now know, it not a question of IF, but when, it will kill him.

Irrelevant nonsense. I guess that means you're not going to explain why?

In any case, you don't seem to even come close to understanding my position on solo diving. I will tell you one thing though. Most of the "solo" divers I know are solo cave divers and it's always night in a cave. However, they don't do it for the horse chit reasons that tourists do it. They do it because of the nature of the caves they are diving. LOL, and they do it without a stupid Scuba Diving Magazine endorsed solo cert too, can you believe it?
You keep doing solo night dives and maybe one night................... :(

Do you have any idea how funny that sounds coming from you?

Irrelevant nonsense. I guess that means you're not going to explain why?

Not irrelevant at all and I did explain. The example of the smoker shows that just because you've gotten away with it 100 times does not mean your 101 time will be as safe. It's not a safe practice. Why do you think all the scuba agencies, books and professionals advise against it? YOU HAVE NO ONE THERE TO HELP YOU WHEN YOU GET INTO TROUBLE

In any case, you don't seem to even come close to understanding my position on solo diving.

true because it seems reckless

I will tell you one thing though. Most of the "solo" divers I know are solo cave divers and it's always night in a cave. However, they don't do it for the horse chit reasons that tourists do it. They do it because of the nature of the caves they are diving. LOL, and they do it without a stupid Scuba Diving Magazine endorsed solo cert too, can you believe it?

Are you advocating solo cave diving as well?:shakehead:

Do you have any idea how funny that sounds coming from you?

I doubt I find it as funny as you do:eyebrow:

Not irrelevant at all and I did explain. The example of the smoker shows that just because you've gotten away with it 100 times does not mean your 101 time will be as safe. It's not a safe practice. Why do you think all the scuba agencies, books and professionals advise against it? YOU HAVE NO ONE THERE TO HELP YOU WHEN YOU GET INTO TROUBLE

Smoking doesn't have anything to do with diving.
Agencies? Don't wave what the agencies do in my face because they leave out some of the most important aspects of diving and repeatedly demonstrate their geveral cluelessness in all aspects of diving. Of course the agencies tell you to dive with a buddy but most don't tell you how nor do they require you to demonstrate that you can actually do it.

What professionals are you talking about?

What books?
true because it seems reckless

How can you say that without understanding it?
Are you advocating solo cave diving as well?:shakehead:

What do you mean by "advocate? I guess the way diving is generally taught, I don't advocate most diving. Just reference some of your own mishaps to see why.

I don't encourage anyone to cave dive. However, certain types of cave diving are almost ALWAYS done solo because it's the most appropriate for the situation. Large clear caves are well suited to team diving and "most" of us dive them in a team. The small, silty, sidemount or no mount stuff isn't. "Most" of us don't dive those at all but those that do, usually dive alone. You're right, there isn't anyone to help you but when the whole cave is a restriction (often with ZERO vis) no one would be able to get to you to help you even if they were there.

If you like books and you want to see how the other half (non-resort/tourist stuff) lives, do some reading up on the British CDG, some of the things Duncan Price has written or a book like "The Darkness Beckons" by Martin Farr.

Back
Top Bottom