Belize Aggressor III - May '08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, we will miss you by one week. Maybe see you as you depart at the end of your week, and the beginning of ours.

My husband doesn't dive, and so I've buddied up with another female diver whose husband doesn't like to dive. Upcoming trip will be our first together, and we are really looking forward to it.

This will be my seventh week aboard a Aggressor fleet boat, in two years. I love the liveaboard experience, and highly recommend it for divers that love focusing on diving, diving, and diving. Not much to do on board if you aren't a diver. My husband would be bored out of his mind for a week, so since he stays home I can afford twice as many trips each year! Pretty good deal I've got going!

Now, if I could only get my husband to buy ME a trip for my birthday! Hee hee.

:)

Cool birthday gift.

I get seasick if I am not careful. If I keep my eyes on the horizon I am OK - so I spend any time when the boat is moving significantly outside or inside in a place where I can see outside and then I don't need to take drugs to avoid it.

Have not been on the Aggressor, but have been on the Peter Hughes boat. Very similar boats, you will see it parked directly beside the Aggressor when you board.

In open water the boat will pitch a bit, but these are pretty large boats so not so much unless the weather is really bad. They really roll however if there is any weather at all. Moving between sites in the day time I was unable to stay below decks or inside at all. I take drugs to knock me out if I need to be in bed asleep while the ship is moving. At night the PH boat moves to a protected site so there is virtually no movement during the week while you are sleeping. Aggressor probably does the same.

I found that for most of the dive sites the water was protected so there was very little movement when getting ready for a dive. This depends on the weather and the site - if the waves and weather are coming from the same direction or it is calm - the boat is very stable. If they are coming from two different quarters the boat will roll quite a bit and those who get seasick will be uncomfortable. Mostly this will be the sites on the east side of half moon cay. Probably won't even do these sites if the weather is bad so I wouldn't worry too much.

I take three wetsuits, 5 bathing suits, 7 t-shirts, one pair of shorts and clothes to get there and back. Take my shoes off when I get on the boat and don't put them on again until leaving a week later. Barefoot the entire time. First trip I didn't use most of what I brought so I have pared it down considerably. I change into a fresh bathing suit after each dive and wear it as shorts until the next dive - rinse the one you just used and hang it up to dry. You might want a pair of light kakis for dinner to dress up a bit, but not necessary.

Three wetsuits is perhaps overkill, but always having a dry one is very nice and two of them are shorties so not putting on a wet one keeps me much warmer. I use the 2/3 full suit for night dives or when I feel I am getting cold. Lots use 3 mil full suits all the time and two would be a good idea otherwise you are always getting into a wet wetsuit so you lose the benefit of the added neoprene warming up the water in the suit. (This depends on the outside temperature, I was there in December so it was not hot, just warm with regular showers and cloudy periods.)

Hope that adds to what others have said.

Stan is the Man! i have been on boats with him at least 5 times (i used to work on Agg boats)

Very entertaining, patient, kind, funny and just an all around legend. not sure how much diving he is doing now but do yourself a favour.. don't watch him when he gets to the end of the tank :D :D

Ditto to what everyone else has said.....bring thick socks....you do not wear shoes on the ship and they keep the a/c on very cold so your feet will get cold in the salon....or at least mine did.....also a thick wetsuit hanger....they have enough but if you bring more than a couple of wetsuits/skins etc....you don't want to be a hanger hawg......and Stan Waterman lucky you I met him for the first time a few months ago what a charming and wonderful man.....take every opportunity to sit and just listen to his stories....I will be on one of his favorite boats in June the Nai'a he goes every year for this birthday.....if you haven't read his book SeaSalt ...I recommend it and take it with you on the trip and ask him to sign it ....what a legend....and he is still diving multiple dives when he is on a liveaboard...... have fun

"but do yourself a favour.. don't watch him when he gets to the end of the tank" :D :D

Thanks for everyone's input - But Mike, you have my curiosity stirred up. I know he sometimes will run out of air (I have read his book), but please enlighten us.:confused:

Thanks.

My wife and I will be on the Aggressor III the week of April 24th-May3rd and it looks like we will just miss you. We really like the liveaboard experience too and look forward to a trip on the Agressor III. We did the Philkade in the similians last October and it was some of the best diving and accomodations I've ever experienced. Belize is on our top list of diving adventures and look forward to meeting and diving with everyone there. Anybody else going to be there on that date?

Checkout my sit and do the cave tubing at Jaguar Paw!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom