Belated Bonaire report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another great trip (7/8-7/22) to Binaire, even got to meet Herman when Liz & Ed at GRI (wehere we stayed again) had their usual great Monday BBQ on 7/9. Yeah, the viz was down a bit but with so much to see close-up it really doesn't matter. Water temps statyed a pretty consistent 81-82F. I think we saw a total of 5 frogfish and (finally) a seahorse (which was south of Andrea I). What rain there was fell conveniently at night, heavy enough showers to make puddles for some very happy birds the next morning.

Did see something else "new". Probably 5-6 times or more I saw GS&S trucks (security guyz) at various dive sites. They would pull in, look around, appear to write down license numbers, smile and wave then leave. This happened several times at the Andreas, Karpata, and various sites to south. I don't know if the sites are being routinely patrolled but I sure saw enough GS&S trucks to get that impression. Locals were noting that the season hadn't really slacked off yet, seemed to be plenty of divers around. But now I'm home. Dang, it's a long time until December... // ww

We saw seahorses on our last trip. Great diving. I love it there. The diving,the scenery, everything. We saw some security and a few of the divers in our group even got tickets for wearing gloves. Criminals.

When you say "security" guys, what do you mean? Not police? Were they park rangers? What does GS&S stand for? Were they watching the divers for rulebreaking or watching out for thieves? Just curious. We're heading there in about two weeks...

Pword: the trucks have that as a logo on the side and GS&S I think means General Security and Services (or reasonably close to that). No, they were not dive police (excuse me, I'm trying to chuckle and type...). I saw it happen enough over my 2 weeks I just assumed it was now being done for uh, security on a random basis. Other than to wave a few times I guess I didn't pay that much attention. Of course I was plenty saturated with nitrogen a lot...must be someone there knows the score on this. // ww

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong...Dennis Miller"

pword:
When you say "security" guys, what do you mean? Not police? Were they park rangers? What does GS&S stand for? Were they watching the divers for rulebreaking or watching out for thieves? Just curious. We're heading there in about two weeks...

FYI, Warmwater is right, it is General Security Services. They are actually a private company that works in conjunction with the police department.

Liz

Huh, I must not have been as narc'd as I thought then. How are the coconuts doing Liz?? // ww :eyebrow:

ps--a view from the GRI villa where we stayed. Liz & Ed think of everything!! :eyebrow:

Attachments

• Parrots out of kitchen window.jpg
    Parrots out of kitchen window.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom