Being Narc'd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottwilson1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
just some personal observations from some dives I've done somewhat recently, my understanding with being narced is kinda like being drunk
or feeling silly - now on a dive in June I was doing a shore dive to about 100 ffw and back, we followed the floor basically in a straightish line, it was cold and I was in a farmer john 7mm about 37f kind of cold,
made it to the 100' mark kicked around for a couple mins then we headed back. at about 90-75' I had two feelings 1) that if I closed my eyes i would fall asleep instantly
and 2) for less than 5 seconds kinda felt like my head was in a washing machine ( best way i could come up to describe it ) , once we got passed 75' I went back to feeling normal
and didn't really think on it much.

I was doing a wreck dive a couple days ago at about 84' deep inside the wreck, temp was again about 37f was wearing a semi dry and was feeling cold - this dive I was videoing the interior
with a full set up camera , tray with dual video lights - again it happened the washing machine effect felt like my head was swaying side to side - it happened in an area i could ascend a bit and it went away once above 70' - went back down and didn't happen again .

I have 57 dives in 10 months with about 20 being between 84' - 134' and of those they've all yet to be above 40f

anyone else ever have similar feeling ? I would call DAN but then I wouldn't get to chat with all of you
icon_biggrin.gif

Dove for years on deep Great Lakes wrecks on air. We always took a camera along and took lots of pictures. That way we could see everything we forgot. Big time narced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the cold may be enhancing your narcosis. The cold can account for the fatigue, and the fact that your face is turning numb could account for the dizziness/washing machine effect, but I think there is likely a narcosis element as well.

Never mind narc'd, if my maths is right you're diving in 3c water! You need to come down to the warmer parts of the world and thaw out.

scottwilson1,

The description you gave almost sounds like mild vertigo. Bit it could be simple narcosis and cold as Tom mentioned in his post.

I've had fairly significant narcosis during deep air dives in the late 1970's and early '80's. Maybe mild dizziness, numbness, hearing changes (at about double the depths you are describing). Narcosis effects different people in different ways. I don't recall a washing machine effect, but then I dive in water a lot warmer than you, and maybe the combination of depth and very cold water can do that.

But you may want to ask your question on the medical section of scubaboard as well.

Best wishes.

It does sound like narcosis that led to some vertigo. There are many factors that can go into it cold, experience lots of things. I have felt that washing machine effect often passing the 150ft mark on air. +1 for finding some warmer water.

Depth, cold water and low visibility/lack of light is "steroids" for narcosis.

The extra warmth offered by a drysuit (w/ dry gloves) will help mitigate the narcosis. I don't know anyone else who dives wet below 48 deg F, that's just crazy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds a little more than being narc'd... as mentioned, vertigo may have also been at play.

For sure though, cold has a major effect on narcosis. I've done quite a few dives in the 55m-60m range on air and when I was cold I was noticeably buzzing... when warm at the same depth, it felt like I was much shallower.... without feeling a trace of narcosis.

If you are exerting on these dives, it may well be that your body can't clear itself of CO2 well enough once you are deeper than 70 feet...so the buildup of CO2 at 100 feet, would easily cause a big increase in the narcotic effect of the nitrogen at depth. There is a big difference in our ability to clear CO2 at 70 feet and at 100 feet deep.

Back
Top Bottom