Being left to dive solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best thing to do beforehand is to arrange for somebody to accompany you underwater to spot for you or who just wants to take it easy or preferably is another photographer.
On my recent trip to PG, there were generally around 4-6 divers per dive and all of us were taking photographs, I did manage to lose the main group a few times but it was never an issue as I eventually found them again at some point.

Two photographers is realy just 2 solo divers.
Having my buddy is the best solution however she does not want to dive as often as I do.
A dive guide is another option I have used before, particularly on night dives. However you have to seperate from the crowds otherwise you end up just being mobbed.

Our dive shop provides a group DM/guide in the water but I make sure when people make their reservations that they understand it is a GROUP guide, not a private guide. If you don't have a buddy with you and need/want a guide, I suggest hiring a private guide, as you can get away from the group, have a good buddy that is a professional and take your time as long as you want shooting whatever you like. It's unfortunate that you lost sight of the group, but really, the DM cannot do the whole dive facing backward looking for you; it's the responsibility of the certified diver to keep up with the guide and to get a buddy lined up before hitting the water.

i usually team up with a diver that has a camera in his hands and we move at our speed and the others are "forced" to wait for us...if the team is led by a responsible divemaster...else you`ve heard the briefing...make sure you dive your plan with the buddy then....ascend slowly...shoot the smb....do your stops....wave to the boat. should be simple. i never had a problem being left by the group...nowadays i have problems with buddy that forget in the moment they go in the water what team work is :(.

if you are left alone...its safer to go up and cancel the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom