Being left on the dive site: How to avoid and how to survive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noise makers are close to useless beyond a few yards. If you are down wind, the effective distance of a whistle will be cut in half. A light or DSMB will help with visibility. At the nd of course he day, having someone know you are missing is critical.

I bought a Nautilus Lifeline this year, specifically in case being caught in a strong current. It has a range of 16 miles, which should be plenty in the event of someone looking for me. The thing I like about is it’s small size. I fits in a pocket under my arm that also holds my SMB and reel. I like that it is small enough to take on every dive. I always think that there is a a temptation to leave bulky stuff behind and a PBL in a canister would be getting to the “do I need this for this dive?” decision tree. And the safety gear you leave behind is use.ess when you need it...

Noise makers are close to useless beyond a few yards. If you are down wind, the effective distance of a whistle will be cut in half. A light or DSMB will help with visibility. At the nd of course he day, having someone know you are missing is critical.

I bought a Nautilus Lifeline this year, specifically in case being caught in a strong current. It has a range of 16 miles, which should be plenty in the event of someone looking for me. The thing I like about is it’s small size. I fits in a pocket under my arm that also holds my SMB and reel. I like that it is small enough to take on every dive. I always think that there is a a temptation to leave bulky stuff behind and a PBL in a canister would be getting to the “do I need this for this dive?” decision tree. And the safety gear you leave behind is use.ess when you need it...

Have used the Nautilus Lifeline, yet?

I got my SMB right after my OW cert. Bought a DSMB shortly after with a signal mirror and two dive lights. I recently gave all my kids SMB.
I understand that i am the most interested in my survival. I hire reputable dive outfitters, and specifically ask the Captain and deck hand about their procedure to insure all divers make it back on the boat.
I been considering the purchase of a Nautilus Lifeline.
I have not had any issues, and when the crew does their roll call, they seem to look at me. I guess they remember me questioning their procedures.

I got my SMB right after my OW cert. Bought a DSMB shortly after with a signal mirror and two dive lights. I recently gave all my kids SMB.
I understand that i am the most interested in my survival. I hire reputable dive outfitters, and specifically ask the Captain and deck hand about their procedure to insure all divers make it back on the boat.
I been considering the purchase of a Nautilus Lifeline.
I have not had any issues, and when the crew does their roll call, they seem to look at me. I guess they remember me questioning their procedures.

I had a chance to practice deploying my DSMB last weekend in Jupiter, Florida. The current was medium. We were supposedly going to a site called Wreck Trek. When we were at the right position, Captain said: "Go Go Go" and everyone went off the boat with giant stride one at a time quickly to stay in one group of 20. We went down to about 88' finning swiftly looking for the wreck at 40' visibility. Unfortunately DM missed spotting the Esso Bonaire wreck and most of us (I think about 18) were following the DM, heading back to the surface like bunch of cows. When I looked to my SUUNTO D4, I saw a 2 minute DECO for whatever reason (ascending too fast?) So I had to stay around 15' to complete the deco obligation and 3 minute safety stop. I ended up spending 14 minute dive on that 1st dive and using 1000 psi gas (36% Nitrox). Obviously I was the last diver who went back up to the boat, except 2 other divers who found the wreck.

Having 2 divers were still on the bottom, the captain then repositioned the boat for another go to the Wreck Trek with 8 minute surface interval (for me). When we were at supposedly the right position, he again said: "Go Go Go". Most of us repeat the drill, except of a couple divers who may had enough of the 1st failure attempt to find the wreck (or had spent too much gas to do the 2nd one). I still had 2000 pisg, so I said to myself why the hey not tried the 2nd time. Guess what? DM missed it again (for the 2nd time). As we swept away by the current, my buddy & I were at the tail end of the herd, I happened to look to my right and saw a fade shape of the wreck. I looked back to my buddy and pointed to the wreck. We then finned rigorously toward the wreck and abandoned the lost herd. After spending a few minutes on the wreck and checked my gas pressure down to 750 psig, I signaled to my buddy to thumb the dive and ascend. I figured we were the last ones in the group and might have gotten swept away from the group by the current, so it was time to launch my DSMB while hanging 15' underwater in the blue for safety stop. I had 2 minute deco by that time too.

To launch the DSMB, I did similar to Garry Dallas of RAID UK & Malta in the video below, except I have my own dedicated air hose to fill up the SMB so I don't need to remove my reg and blow gas into the SMB with my mouth.

Reactions: Jay
I had a chance to practice deploying my DSMB last weekend in Jupiter, Florida. The current was medium. We were supposedly going to a site called Wreck Trek. When we were at the right position, Captain said: "Go Go Go" and everyone went off the boat with giant stride one at a time quickly to stay in one group of 20. We went down to about 88' finning swiftly looking for the wreck at 40' visibility. Unfortunately DM missed spotting the Esso Bonaire wreck and most of us (I think about 18) were following the DM, heading back to the surface like bunch of cows. When I looked to my SUUNTO D4, I saw a 2 minute DECO for whatever reason (ascending too fast?) So I had to stay around 15' to complete the deco obligation and 3 minute safety stop. I ended up spending 14 minute dive on that 1st dive and using 1000 psi gas (36% Nitrox). Obviously I was the last diver who went back up to the boat, except 2 other divers who found the wreck.

Having 2 divers were still on the bottom, the captain then repositioned the boat for another go to the Wreck Trek with 8 minute surface interval (for me). When we were at supposedly the right position, again he again said: "Go Go Go". Most of us repeat the drill, except of a couple divers who may had enough of the 1st failure attempt to find the wreck (or had spent too much gas to do the 2nd one). I still had 2000 pisg, so I said to myself why the hey not tried the 2nd time. Guess what? DM missed it again (for the 2nd time). As we swept away by the current, my buddy & I were at the tail end of the heard, I happened to look to my right and saw a fade shape of the wreck. I looked back to my buddy and pointed to the wreck. We then fin rigorously toward the wreck and abandon the lost herd. After spending a few minutes on the wreck and check my gas pressure down to 750 psig, I signal to my buddy to thumb the dive and ascend. I figured we were the last ones in the group and might have gotten swept away from the group by the current, so it was time to launch my DSMB while hanging 15' underwater in the blue fpr safety stop. I had 2 minute deco by that time too.

To launch the DSMB, I did similar to Gary Dallas of RAID UK & Malta in the video below, except I have my own dedicated air hose to fill up the SMB so I don't need to remove my reg and blow gas into the SMB.

Sounds like Jupiter dive center. I used to love those guys but the past few years their ability to actually drop you on the reef (even being first off and heading down quickly) has been awful. Last 3 times in a row they missed it so I said no more. That and their nitrox policies. I’m a licensed vippper and had my tanks viper within 2 months of the last dive. They wouldn’t fill them because I didn’t have a dive shop name on the sticker. I showed them my vip license but they didn’t care. They just wanted to re-vip my tanks. ANd they don’t do partial pressure blending so the bio is less important meaning it’s entirely ignorance and stupidity.

Noise makers are close to useless beyond a few yards. If you are down wind, the effective distance of a whistle will be cut in half. A light or DSMB will help with visibility
While you make a valid point with regard to audible nose makes and wind ( exclude whistles which are useless), I would urge people not to dismiss them

I personally have benefited from my Air horn being hear from the pick up boat (if we're around say the corner of an island, and I've been able to summon a boat quite far away by attracting attention with the horn and waving my dsmb

I've also been on the pick up boat looking and heard an air horn, while it doesn't easily give direction it does alert you.

I do carry a bright light, but in the bright daylight sun it is next to useless, better at dusk (and god forbid at night)

I would agree a dsmb is essential, I'd go further and say that anyone who ventures into the ocean without a 6@ dsmb, that can be additionally inflated at the surface, to make it sufficiently rigid that you can by holding the base so you can wave it with an out stretched arm, is IMO a fool.

I'll reiterate points I'm made previously that while a lifeline or PLB is a fantastic bit of kit, they're a last ditch effort and in some areas of the world totally useless (in that you won't get to summon help)

Final point: absolutely agree that the boat realising yoru missing is of paramount importance. Divers should treat a roll call with the respect it deserves, rather than it (to them) being an inconvenient disturbance to their "important" post dive conversation.

While you make a valid point with regard to audible nose makes and wind ( exclude whistles which are useless), I would urge people not to dismiss them

I personally have benefited from my Air horn being hear from the pick up boat (if we're around say the corner of an island, and I've been able to summon a boat quite far away by attracting attention with the horn and waving my dsmb

I've also been on the pick up boat looking and heard an air horn, while it doesn't easily give direction it does alert you.

I do carry a bright light, but in the bright daylight sun it is next to useless, better at dusk (and god forbid at night)

I would agree a dsmb is essential, I'd go further and say that anyone who ventures into the ocean without a 6@ dsmb, that can be additionally inflated at the surface, to make it sufficiently rigid that you can by holding the base so you can wave it with an out stretched arm, is IMO a fool.

I'll reiterate points I'm made previously that while a lifeline or PLB is a fantastic bit of kit, they're a last ditch effort and in some areas of the world totally useless (in that you won't get to summon help)

Final point: absolutely agree that the boat realising yoru missing is of paramount importance. Divers should treat a roll call with the respect it deserves, rather than it (to them) being an inconvenient disturbance to their "important" post dive conversation.
I have a whistle, but have never really needed it to signal. I did lose a buddy on a dive once and debated whether to use it. I was pretty sure he was an idiot, and it turned out I was right. He just went in on his own without telling me.

Everything is an escalation a whistle is probably best for short distances to get someone looking in your direction. The SMB is good when they know you are missing (or at least know they should be looking for you). Reflectors and lights are time/weather dependent. The Nautilus/PLB are for the “Oh ****, I am so screwed” moments.

I have the Nautilus in a pouch on BCD with my SMB and reel. I have never used it and plan on never needing it. But not having it is not an option

I don't think people understand how "primitive" the diving is here. Not to mention very specific laws regarding radio transmissions.

I carry a normal 3 ' SMB as my primary and an emergency SMB that is yellow that is closer to 7'. I also tell the captain my dive plan as far as bottom time, when to expect to see me SMB and when to expect to see me surface.

What is the captain to do should you surface early and not where expected?

To launch the DSMB, I did similar to Garry Dallas of RAID UK & Malta in the video below, except I have my own dedicated air hose to fill up the SMB so I don't need to remove my reg and blow gas into the SMB with my mouth.

That guy has great buoyancy control and technique - but why did he flip us off at 1:25 in? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom