Beginning diver going to Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LBattle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I am planning a backpacking trip through Mozambique in June/July this year and am in the process of getting my Open Water Certification so that I can take advantage of the diving they have there. From what I have read, I'm thinking I would like to dive in Tofo, Bazaruto, Nacala, Quirimbas and/or Ponta Malongane. As I mention in the subject, I'm a beginning diver, so I don't know that I'm set on seeing specific things. I'm just happy to see some amazing things and get some diving experience.

I would like advice from you if:
*You can say if the above mentioned places are worth diving
*There are places I haven't mentioned that I shouldn't miss
*But, most of all, if you can recommend dive operators for these places with reliable rental equipment.

Thanks!

Hi

Something you should be aware of is that a lot of the good dive sites in Tofo are beyond the depth limits of an Openwater diver. Manta Reef, Amazon, Office, Giants Castle, Sherwood Forest and some others are included in this list of deeper dives. These are in my opinion some of the best sites there. There are others worth visiting, just be aware that they will not all be available to you.

Having said that Tofo is worth a visit, I usually dive with Tofo Scuba. A whaleshark (snorkeling) Safari is well worth doing. If you are backpacking there is Fatimas backpackers in Tofo.

Instead of Molongane, i would suggest using Ponto D oura. Its about 5km south of Molongane.

Plenty of shallower reefs for an open water.

My favourite is "Doodles" its fantastic.

I would suggest using "Oceana Diving" they are the only DAN approved dive operator in Ponto d Oura.

i was there three weeks ago, it was fantastic.

Thanks to Wayne and Andy for your responses. Definitely thanks for the heads up about the deeper sites around Tofo. I might try to get my Advanced Open Water Cert before I go now. And, yes, I am backpacking, so camping site and budget accommodation recommendations are also much appreciated!

Hello all,

I am planning a backpacking trip through Mozambique in June/July this year and am in the process of getting my Open Water Certification so that I can take advantage of the diving they have there. From what I have read, I'm thinking I would like to dive in Tofo, Bazaruto, Nacala, Quirimbas and/or Ponta Malongane. As I mention in the subject, I'm a beginning diver, so I don't know that I'm set on seeing specific things. I'm just happy to see some amazing things and get some diving experience.

I would like advice from you if:
*You can say if the above mentioned places are worth diving
*There are places I haven't mentioned that I shouldn't miss
*But, most of all, if you can recommend dive operators for these places with reliable rental equipment.

Thanks!

The good sites in Tofo are not available to Open Water divers and not really suitable for inexperienced divers. Get the advanced certification and try to get 15-20 dives under your belt before you head there.

Cheers

Tofo is not really suited to Open Water divers, as several other people have commented, but if you can get some additional dives logged it has some great sites. I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and documented the whole experience on my site - here is the link to the intro page and just follow the links to the other pages: Diving Mozambique: Tofo Mega Fauna

It certainly wet my appetite for more African diving, but not been able to get the time to do it yet - so far from Sydney....

Don

The website for Guinjata Bay Resort does not seem to be working but they have a stellar dive center on premises. Here is the link:
Mozambique, Guinjata Bay
I have not dove with them personally but the center consistently gets great reviews!

If you happen to be visiting Zanzibar let me know and I will arrange diving for you and will be happy to take you out personally to explore our beautiful fringing reef!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom