Beginner's underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoffo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I've got a Canon Powershot SD630, which is a little old but still goes along quite well. I've used underwater cameras before (diving buddy's setups and whatnot) and want to get into it myself. I'm thinking for the short term to pick up a Canon housing for it, getting used to it and then maybe looking to get a proper strobe, and wide-angle lense as well as a macro lense a bit later on down the track.

I've seen adapters for the Canon housings to support external 'wet' lenses (such as the Inon AD Mount Base DC3 for Canon WP-DC3 ) and just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations or "do's" and "don'ts" about my idea? I understand the adapter I just linked may only support Inon lenses, and not all lenses (e.g. some Ikelite lenses?)

I guess my other option is keep the SD630 w/ Canon housing then use it as a learning base before upgrading both the camera, housing and add any additional gear. Not overly sure on this one because a friend of mine is using a standard 4MP Fuji camera with external strobe and he takes fantastic photos so I'm not convinced that for a "half-hobby, half-serious" underwater photographer that a brand spanking new camera is as important as a decent light source.

As you can see I'm a bit confused/misinformed/uninformed!

Oh, I also run CHDK on my Canon for a bit of extra fun :)

Any opinions, advice, comments or criticism welcome.

EDIT: just flicking through the tips and techniques section - I'm not afraid to get a red filter and hit up photoshop to maximise results with no strobe/lense :)

Back
Top Bottom