beginner snorkler need gear help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mshinder

Reaction score
hi all,

i am not a diver and am going on vacation to Aruba and wanted to get some nice equipment to enjoy the clear water with and do some Snorkeling.

i was doing some reading on the web and dont know if i should get a dry Snorkel or not.

also what would be a good one... from what i can tell i read that these 2 are good:

Oceanic Ultra Dry Snorkel
Aeris Barracuda Dry Snorkel

can anyone tell me what would be the best for a new Snorkeler who is starting out? and why?

also a nice mask and fins to go with the snorkel would be perfect.

thanks

The first thing I would suggest is make sure your equipment fits you well (most important concept here!). A leaky mask or poor fitting fins can spoil the fun very quickly. Most dive shops can fit you in equipment that is of good quality, fits & will not break the bank. As for what type of snorkel, many snorkelers like the dry ones. These have valves that will shut to prevent water from entering when you dive down or if a wave washes over you, of course if you know how to clear a snorkel properly, then a dry snorkel may not be necessary. Keep in mind, that if the valve closes to keep the water out, it will also keep the air out & you will not be able to breathe at that time, until the water is away & the valve opens back up. If you can, you may want to seek out some snorkeling instruction from a professional or someone with experience who can mentor you in snorkeling. The techniques are not difficult to learn & can be quite handy to have, including, clearing of the snorkel & clearing water out of the mask. Good luck to you & have fun on your trip!:D

Tammy has given you excellent advice. As a snorkeller of over fifty years standing, never a scuba diver, my take on snorkelling equipment is that really anything goes, so long as it fits. I would only add that you should also explore what general sports dealers have to offer in the way of snorkelling gear, as free and scuba dive stores may divert you into purchasing freediving or scuba diving masks and fins instead, on the pretext that you're bound to move on to one or the other at some time.

Do take care when sizing fins, remembering that feet are three-dimensional, so width and arch height should be factored in as well as foot length. Try fins on before purchase, and if you're planning to wear socks or bootees with them, put those on before trying on fins for size. Contrary to popular belief, socks and bootees can be worn with full-foot fins as well as open-heel fins, but you will have to get a pair a size or two bigger than you would choose if you were snorkelling barefoot. Forget about particular brands, or models, of fins. When I snorkelled a few years ago at La Jolla Cove, the snorkellers wore every kind of fin and the common factor was that they were all enjoying themselves. Get fins that fit and select a pair with a blade stiffness that suits your strength and stamina.

As for masks, fit is again the paramount criterion. Try pressing the mask gently against your face, breathe in and see if the mask stays on your face without support. If its does so, it's likely, but by no means certain, that the mask matches your facial dimensions. You will only know for sure if you try the mask out in the water.

Snorkelling is a wonderful, relaxing activity and I never tire of it. I hope your experience proves to be equally enjoyable. Do come back after your trip and tell us all about it on ScubaBoard's snorkelling forum.

hi all,

i am not a diver and am going on vacation to Aruba and wanted to get some nice equipment to enjoy the clear water with and do some Snorkeling.

i was doing some reading on the web and dont know if i should get a dry Snorkel or not.

also what would be a good one... from what i can tell i read that these 2 are good:

Oceanic Ultra Dry Snorkel
Aeris Barracuda Dry Snorkel

can anyone tell me what would be the best for a new Snorkeler who is starting out? and why?

also a nice mask and fins to go with the snorkel would be perfect.

thanks
The other posters have given you excellent advice so far.
My perspective would be that if you have the time to practice in a pool before you go to Aruba, and if you consider yourself fairly well coordinated when learning new physical skills....then don't waste money on a dry snorkel..the dry snorkels can be sold for extortions as high as $70, and most freedivers would tell you these are terribly inferior to a straight j tube snorkel with no purge....good j shaped non-purge snorkel can be had for $12, and state of the art Freediving snorkel ( J without purge, Omer or equiv) could be as much as $20. You would not know the difference between the $12 and $20 one though. Good freedive masks are going to seal better than typical scuba masks, and cost less. Cressi Super Ochio masks are about as good as you can get for freediving.or snorkeling..OR SCUBA.
Here is a link
Amazon.com: Cressi Superocchio Dive Mask with Freediving Snorkel, (Hard Mask Box Included): Sports & Outdoors
It comes with a good snorkel and both cost less than $50!!!!
Fit IS a huge issue, but the superochio is one of the best fitting masks I have ever seen..you should find one at a shop and try it on without thye strap-push on to face, suck through nose--does it stay?

With the money you save on mask and snorkel, get a pair of very soft full foot freedive fins. ...Perfect choice would be the long distance version of the Cressi 3000...only $99 .... see
Amazon.com: Cressi Gara 3000 LD Fins, Grey: Sports & Outdoors

You would wear either thich athletic socks like for running, or you buy some neopreme socks for about $10 to $14...which is really what you should do...
see Amazon.com: neoprene socks 2mm Sports & Outdoor Equipment

You do NOT want the cheap snorkel fins, as they are almost useless to get around with, and effectively PREVENT you from increasing your skill level and enjoyment much beyond entry level snorkeling. The cheap snorkel fins would never be good for scuba, and are really no good for anyone but retailers looking to make a quick buck from someone who does not know any better!
Freediving fins may take an hour longer for you to figure out kicking technique with, but from then on, you will be able to move effortlessly --more like a fish, and less like a helpless novice that will have trouble at the first sigh of current or waves.

Regards,
DanV

I do not recommend a dry snorkel since they may close off more often than desired. I use a semidry with a comfortable mouthpiece. I do not know what is comfortable for you.

I use TUSA Platina Tusa Platina II Hyperdry Snorkel (SP-170)
and an AL Impulse 3 Aqualung Impulse 3 Flex Snorkel
These are very dry breathing snorkels even in rough seas.

The best mask I have found that fit me is SEADIVE TruVu Rayblocker. I prefer a single lens mask. They are medium volume though.
Visually Enhanced Mask
Comfort is most important. It is near impossible to guess on a mask on the Internet.

Test masks by gently pressing against face. If it forms a suction it may fit. Try out in pool in case have to return. Compare optical clarity and field of view between masks.

I use rubber full footpocket fins with light booties or 2-4mm neoprene socks depending on water temps. For deep freediving, I use Picasso long blade carbon freedive fins. For snorkeling a comfortable rubber full footpocket fin. Long blade fins may not be the best for someone starting out. Lighter weight fins may also work well. I am just use to rubber. This is what I currently use http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_UNI.htm

I own an Aeris cuda dry and its very nice. Never gets water in it, sometimes closes off but usually because a wave comes overhead. I use mine every time I scuba when I'm at the surface.

Oceanic is a sister company to Aeris so they make the same products. I would just get the Aeris barracuda and be done with it, you wont find a better dry snorkel.

A dry snorkel may not be the best for a beginning snorkeler.

1. They may shut down too often.

2 . It may be harder to learn proper technique.

When freediving, we spit the snorkel out when decending. For shallow snorkeling, probably easier to leave in mouth if down less than 20 s. Comfort is utmost. If swallowing saltwater or problem breathing calm deep breaths can make for an uncomfortable time on the water. Snorkelers and freedivers stay in the water for much longer periods than a person on SCUBA. So the more comfortable one's equipment is, the better the time spent on the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom