Beginner setup (RX 100 / A6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that’s the short port I assumed to need for a wide angle wet lens.

It depends. The 24mm-equivalent is not very wide by itself for underwater purposes, and putting it behind a flat port gives you additional magnification making it closer to 30mm. You can use a dry dome port, but then you can't mount any wet lenses at all - such a setup is useful mostly for fish portrait type shots.

It depends. The 24mm-equivalent is not very wide by itself for underwater purposes, and putting it behind a flat port gives you additional magnification making it closer to 30mm. You can use a dry dome port, but then you can't mount any wet lenses at all - such a setup is useful mostly for fish portrait type shots.
Nauticam told me that the short port is required for wide angle lenses as otherwise the camera lens (when zoomed in) would be too far from the wet lens. I thought therefore the solution for best wide angle would be short port + wide wet lens + dome (e.g. Nauticam WWL-1 or Inon UWL-H100 + dome. But again - that’s just what I understood and generally made sense to me - you tell me if it’s not right :)

The N50 system has 4 port types
1. Square port for macro full zoom
2. Short port for wide angle
3. Dome port (works for limited part of the zoom range not sure for the Vi VII what it is)
4. Regular port (only for canons and less zoom able cameras)

Generally the camera comes with the rectangular port that is not useful for wide angle but can take close up lenses
You then buy the short port and combine with a wet lens for wide angle (WWL-1, others)

Right now there are no nauticam housings except the Panasonic LX10 that work without a port system so you cant do wide and macro on the same dive

IMO
get an rx100 IV or V
and i added some pics i took with my rx100iv

to me, if you cant switch wide angel and macro lens underwater. it loses all the senses using a compact camera underwater.
unfortunately, because of VI and VII are 24-200mm, their port system gets almost as complicated as mirrorless or DSLR. meaning you need to buy different ports/adaptors and you can't switch from macro to wide angel underwater.
for the macro lens, I suggest cmc1, perhaps another +10 to stack for super macro (i dive asia mostly, macro can get suuuuper macro :))
i use inon u100 for wide angle . don't need port to mount on my rx100iv, but i do need to adjust my camera to 28mm to get the most use of it. BTW. love the lens, i haven't bought the dome yet tho. i haven't used nauticam's wide angle, would love to try to see why it's so expensive haha

this is very personal opinion, i believe alot of people would disagree, i won't go for A6500/6600 or em-5, if you ever think about use mirrorless, go straight to full-frame.

WechatIMG469.jpeg

hair shrimp with eggs.jpg

Thanks torachen - that’s very helpful.
And the photos are stunning!
thank you for your compliment!
forgot to mention
for the strobes. i start to use more torch/snoot on my macro dives. but I'm pretty happy with my inonz330 when doing some wide angles. i hesitated between s2000 and z330 when I did the purchase. then i thought i might want to go for a bigger camera later so Z330 maybe better. i do use a weefine focus light, it's helpfull but it's that mandatory. you can decide if it's necessary later.
depends on what kind of dives you are into. if you want to shoot macro like the dives you did in lembeh, a torch and a snoot probably could be very useful. but do not rush into a purchase before you actually try the torch/snoot. I wasted lot of money in those bad snoots and torches:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.
BTW,I also purchase a non-Nauticam tray system because it's 30% cheaper. after 2 dive trips i have to purchase again for nauticam because it's so much better. so be mindful when you purchase those accessories. they can affect a lot for you shoot experience.

hope you find your ideal set up soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom