Beginner Regulator Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both books available....PM with an offer, if you want them :)

Can you access the factory service manuals? That might be a great place to start for the tools and parts needed.

Also, if you can get a factory service parts kit, that will also be a big step. I used the ones from SP to get my list of parts, then went to places like McMAster Carr or a local O-ring shop or other stores online to get the parts in bulk for very cheap.

I used Scubatools for getting my tools, FYI.

There are LOTS of threads on this topic on Scubaboard if you search around.

Personally, I am a big fan of learning one or two first stages [similar models of one brand], and one or two 2nd stages [similar models from same brand] that way you just need one small set of tools...and most of the parts are shared...saves a ton of money, a ton of time [in learning and practicing] and you can get really good at it so you can detect issues sooner.

What does the wood box look like? Do you have a link with dimensions? Thanks!

I don't have dimensions. Attaching a page from the service manual that shows it. You can build it around your first stage pretty easily.

You don't have to bolt it down the way it shows. It's easy to make. Won't work with every first stage, but is great with my Apeks and Zeagles.

Attachments

• Zeagle Box.jpg
    Zeagle Box.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 180
Rather than co2 cartridges or "vise tools", I just use appropriate size bolts... One for hp port and one for lp/vintage hp ports.
Ultrasonic cleaners are nice, but elbow grease works too.
Some regs use more unique tools than others, but most of the special tools out there are more "nice to have" than "necessary".
It isn't rocket surgery, but as someone else says, it is very precise.
Of course, my advice is worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully,
James

Hi- if there is already a thread that covers this, please point me in the right direction.

I am curious as to how complicated it is to work on my own regulators. What tools are needed, that sort of thing.

As examples of regulators I have:
Sherwood Blizzard
Aqualung LX and ABS
Apeks TX100/TX50

Are the manuals available for download? Purchase? Are there videos?

Thanks!

Bob

It's not that complicated. If you do your own car repairs, plumbing or woodworking, you probably have a lot of the basic tools needed. A good understanding of basic physics helps.

Specialty tools:

scubatools.com

Service manuals for your regulators (and videos, but maybe not specific to your regs):

vintagedoublehose.com

Service kits for your regulators:

norhteastscubasupply.com

It's easy to do your own servicing if you enjoy taking things apart, learning how they work and then putting them back together again. Or it can become a complicated chore for you with a bunch of partially completed regulators that you never get around to finishing.

I had seen references to those books, and was wondering if there is a good (cheap) source for them.

And, you may be correct that the extra time, effort, and hassle isn't worth the DIY aspect. I am trying to learn more so I can have a basis for deciding.

Thanks!

Both those books are worth paying full price to get. There is not a big market for them, so they don't often appear for sale as used or at discount prices. If you do find them for less, buy right away before someone else picks them up.

If you want to service your own stuff, you should spend the money and get both books. Reg Savvy is more of a theory book that gives you a great understanding of how everything works. Reg Maintenance and Repair is more like a technical manual with torque specs, etc. The manuals can be found online, but service kits are harder to get. Having three different brands of regs, collecting manuals, tools, and parts is going to be a real pain. If you really want to service your own stuff, either work at a dive shop, or get HOG regs and take the TDI specialty course. You'll be properly trained, have the right manuals, and you can buy service kits from any HOG dealer.

As far as the Sherwood Blizzard, first you have to find out which one as they have used the same name for each new model over the past three or four decades. It may have the series number, SRBxxxx, stamped on the first stage, or you may have to match it up with a picture.

If you already work on your vehicle, repair things around the house, tinker with mechanical gear when you have a chance, and already have a good basic set of tools, and know how to use them, it will be much easier, and cheaper to start repairing your own regs. If not, it may take longer and cost more, or find its not your thing.

Scubaboard has a number of members that are quite knowledgeable and helpful. Also if you search, through Google I find better than the board search engine, you can find threads on the regs you mentioned.

Good luck

Bob

I agree it is not hard stuff, but I'd recommend again that it is a good idea to go through it the first time with someone that has done it. There's just stuff that is helpful, tricks of the trade, things to be careful about, etc. Your own comfort level will be a lot higher. I did sort of an advanced equipment class in an evening in connection with O2 cleaning class. It wasn't designed to certify anyone as a technician, but taking apart and putting together under supervision was very helpful when I decided just to do it myself. Then I read the books referenced above and it has been easy peasy.

I'm a reasonably handy guy - I've built computers, guns, have 3 welders in my garage, rebuilt ATVs, etc. Routine servicing of regulators is no more complicated than any of those things, but it helps to have seen it done, like anything else.

Where the men get separated from the boys (and I admit to being in the latter category on reg servicing) is when it comes to troubleshooting. Routine service is like an oil change. The real skill is diagnosing and fixing a problem. Some are easy, some are not.

I can do some simple car repairs (replaced alternators, bulbs, fuel pump, bumper), some simple woodworking, plumbing, and electrical work. So, it sounds like regulator repair is something I can do.

BCDs might be something I could do, as well.

I do hope to get both books before I attempt much.

I might check out the HOG regulators, and the TDI class sounds good, but not sure I could find it in Maine. SDI/TDI used to be based in Maine, and I had visited their offices once before they moved.

I have two distinct versions of the Blizzard, possibly a third that is a slight variation. I will see if I can find which models I have.

I do have a variety of basic tools, and a few specialty tools, but would expect to need to purchase a few more.

Thank you for all the comments. They give me some direction, and also some cautions.

Have a great day!

Bob

Back
Top Bottom