beginner question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, I think I know how you feel. I have a Nikon F2-S that's 30 years old permanently embedded in my right eye.

The Kracken:
Mike, I think I know how you feel. I have a Nikon F2-S that's 30 years old permanently embedded in my right eye.

YES!!!

in my case it's a F4!!!

we changed to canon, gone digital, but it's still the same... and these small cameras are just to s l o w..... they take forever to do anything!

You know, I've been thinking....s-l-o-w is better underwater. You'll find more stuff, see more behaviours, be forced to just BE instead of having to be somewhere else.

Yes, the shutter lag and focus time and write time can be frustrating - I should know, I had a major whine earlier this year about a new card! But, thanks to that added write time I have explored new ways of shooting, seen some pretty cool stuff and gotten better with my photography. Yes, I am upgrading to a hopefully faster card, but I am beginning to think that its speed will be really useful less often.

Yes, dSLR underwater would be awesome for its versatility and speed, but I am not willing to plonk out that kind of $$ right now and know what kind of fab results can be had for way less.

FWIW

Here you go.
All internal strobe shots - some taken in vis of around 5ft. Check my gallery for what a small compact like the A70 can do with extra lenses and a strobe. BTW the second picture was taken on my first dive with the cam underwater - a night dive. You will get very good results easily.

Image by lukeROB (Copyright) posted at ScubaGallery

lukeROB:
Here you go.
All internal strobe shots - some taken in vis of around 5ft. Check my gallery for what a small compact like the A70 can do with extra lenses and a strobe. BTW the second picture was taken on my first dive with the cam underwater - a night dive. You will get very good results easily.

there's hope, after all...

thanks for all the input.
i'll keep you posted on my findings underwater...

bom dia Mike,
Mike,
I am a beginner at u/w photography and have seen postings of very good pics taken without an external strobe. Obviously, it takes hard work and lots and lots of trial an error.

Yu may want to try the following websites... all of the folks there are extremely friendly and helpful. I am sure they will all give you good advice.

www.wetpixel.com
www.digitaldiver.net
www.digideep.com

boa sorte,
Maria

sharkdiver00:
bom dia Mike,
Mike,
I am a beginner at u/w photography and have seen postings of very good pics taken without an external strobe. Obviously, it takes hard work and lots and lots of trial an error.

Yu may want to try the following websites... all of the folks there are extremely friendly and helpful. I am sure they will all give you good advice.

www.wetpixel.com
www.digitaldiver.net
www.digideep.com

boa sorte,
Maria

obrigado.

i'll browse through them. i'm a bit more relaxed now that i see that you can get results that wont put me off uw photography forever, even without the slr...

Back
Top Bottom