Beginner - how to buy BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all about what makes you comfortable. If you're renting gear anyways try out a jacket style and back inflate to see which style you prefer. Then try on bc's at the shop or try on your buddies bc's too figure out which brand and models you like.

As far as new vs used, if you have $900 to drop on a bc, do it, if not, buy that $900 bc for $450 from someone that bought it, used it twice and packed away in their garage. Spend the $40 for service to ensure it's safe to dive with.

Good luck!

By now as a first choice I am considering travel BCD's like the Aqualung Zuma and the Mares Pure SLS
As a second choice a BPW like the one above
I don't know if I mentioned it in this thread yet, but the Zeagle Express Tech offers a great hybrid between a back inflate BCD and Backplate & Wing. Like either it's adjustable. Like a Backplate and Wing, it's infinitely adjustable. Unlike either, it adjusts easily and in seconds. With the tank on, it gives the same stability as a BP&W, it's super light, easy to pack and supports a crotch strap. It's the bomb.

As far as new vs used, if you have $900 to drop on a bc, do it, if not, buy that $900 bc for $450 from someone that bought it, used it twice and packed away in their garage. Spend the $40 for service to ensure it's safe to dive with.

In Italy it is common to see, as you say, people who sell almost new gear for a very low price. But there is another way to buy quality gear at an incredibly cheap price. There are some small companies that work as subcontractors for the big names of the industry, like Mares, Cressi or Divesystem (common here less abroad). They probably have almost or no marketing and retailing costs, they sell almost at factory price
For example "Scubatec" for regulators (considered here comparable to Apeks) or "Bags Sport" for BCD and other equipment

Bags Sport Diving Products - GAV DIR30
This one, a "GAV" that is BCD in Italian (giubbotto ad assetto variabile). For 270 euros you get wing accessories and steel backplate (you can ask to replace it with aluminum, I think you would pay more)

I don't know if they deliver abroad or if it is convenient after paying the customs. Anyway the quality is the same or even higher of products at a double price. Also the second hand market is somewhat strange for me
I got a used Suunto Vyper for 70 euro not manufactured any more. The Suunto Zoop is about 186 euros new here

In Italy it is common to see, as you say, people who sell almost new gear for a very low price. But there is another way to buy quality gear at an incredibly cheap price. There are some small companies that work as subcontractors for the big names of the industry, like Mares, Cressi or Divesystem (common here less abroad). They probably have almost or no marketing and retailing costs, they sell almost at factory price
For example "Scubatec" for regulators (considered here comparable to Apeks) or "Bags Sport" for BCD and other equipment

Bags Sport Diving Products - GAV DIR30
This one, a "GAV" that is BCD in Italian (giubbotto ad assetto variabile). For 270 euros you get wing accessories and steel backplate (you can ask to replace it with aluminum, I think you would pay more)

I don't know if they deliver abroad or if it is convenient after paying the customs. Anyway the quality is the same or even higher of products at a double price. Also the second hand market is somewhat strange for me
I got a used Suunto Vyper for 70 euro not manufactured any more. The Suunto Zoop is about 186 euros new here

Aloha. I pick up used gear often and more often than not, it was some that had best intentions to dive all the time and then gear sits in the garage for a year or two.

I'm going to look into the subcontractors vendors that you had mentioned. I appreciate the heads up.

Keep in touch if you need any used quality gear, I'm always getting great gear in and I ship around the globe.

Aloha

#30 wings are for heavy tanks and 7mm wetsuits. If you're aiming to travel to tropical waters, #22 is a better choice, e.g.:
Donut Bladder Single Tank

Aloha. I pick up used gear often and more often than not, it was some that had best intentions to dive all the time and then gear sits in the garage for a year or two.
I'm going to look into the subcontractors vendors that you had mentioned. I appreciate the heads up.
Keep in touch if you need any used quality gear, I'm always getting great gear in and I ship around the globe.
Aloha
Thank you very much
Obvioulsy you are already aware of it, but please remember that finding replacement parts and maintenance is not that easy from the US (even though not impossible). Anyway also these vendors have replacement kits you can buy together with the gear. Also, even though you don't find an authorized dealer or technician, their products work just the same as the others and a technician qualified for other brands should be able to check the gear and fix it if necessary
All these products have just the same quality of other Italian products like Mares or Cressi, in terms of applicable laws, checks by the Italian authorities, CEE trademark, etc. etc. In fact like I said many branded products are manufactured by smaller companies and sold under more famous names.
If you like you can also contact me directly by mp

Thanks for sharing

Mares is in Italy where OP is. Apeks #18 might be another "tropical" option over in rightpondia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom