Beginner & going to Spain. Help me please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jujumsn

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to both scuba diving and ScubaBoard. I’m hoping that some more experienced people can help me out a bit. I’m going to Barcelona at the end of Sept. and I was thinking about diving at the Medas Islands, L’Estartit. I was thinking about booking with Calypso Diving International. However, I just noticed that they can only take 42 people a day to the island, so they cannot guarantee two dives in one day. I only have one day to dive, so I have to make the most of it. Is this common? If not, any recommendations on another dive operator for beginners?

Also, do I purchase insurance at the dive shop? Do I get a special diving medical at home before I go? Can beginners dive the island, or are there a certain number of dives you have to have logged before diving the island?

Finally, is it possible to leave Barcelona by bus going to L’Estartit, do two dives, and return to Barcelona in one day plus evening?

Hi jujumsn,

First off, welcome to scubaboard!

The way it works in Medas is that all the dive centres have a schedule for which dive sites they go to on a particular day and at a particular time. This means that there is only ever one dive boat at a particular site at each time slot. When the dive centre is not scheduled for a slot in the Medas they head up the coast a little to La Costa de Montgri (which is also some pretty cool diving). Normally each dive centre will head to Medas 2 out of the 3 time slots that are allocated. When there is inclement weather there is an alternate schedule to send the boats to more sheltered sites. You might be able to shoot Calypso an email or give them a call and see what they have scheduled for the day that you are heading up. If they can't help you, I'd highly recommend Aquatica (AQUÀTICA. Submarinisme. Submarinismo. Buceo. Plongée. Diving. Tauchen. Duiken.). I think their boat might be slightly smaller than Calypso (which means less people :) and the captains and guides are great.

Insurance is required for diving in Spain but you can buy it at whatever dive centre you go with for the day that you are diving. Should cost you about 6 euros for each day of diving. I'm not too sure about the dive medical as some people seem to be asked for them but I've never been asked for a dive medical in any of the dive centres I've used in the Medas (I've done about 50 dives there over the past 2 years). When you contact the dive centre ask if they require one. They might just get you to sign a waver. Beginners can definitely dive the Medas although some sites are definitely easier than others. You will have a dive guide (a requirement for diving there) so just let them know your level and they will cater to that.

Getting to L'Estartit from Barcelona is a bit of a mission if you don't have a car. I think a bus might run from Barcelona to L'Estartit twice a day which might be a bit difficult with the diving schedules. You can check the schedule here Empresa d'autobusos de Catalunya. Serveis regulars d'autobusos. Autobusos interurbans... . There is also a bus that runs from Girona to L'Estartit. Another option is to take the train to Flaça (the closest train station to L'Estartit) from barcelona and then a taxi. It is probably about 20-25 mins in taxi.

Hope that this is somewhat helpful. Anything else I can help you with just shoot me a PM.

Safe diving.

Shouldn't the summer rush be over by the end of September? In June (before the summer rush) we were able to do three days (six dives) all at the islands. Our DMs said that September was the best: warm water, great vis, and no crowds.

Just a short hand written note from our doctor is all we needed to dive there (and France). Don't worry about getting a fancy medical form.

Back
Top Bottom