beginner diver back plate and wing config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'm in....

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.24.05 PM.png

He scored the last one
I was watching the site all week and originally I was going to go with the 23# wing because the 18# was 'out of stock' but then, almost magically, it came back in stock and I pulled the trigger. Spoke to Brian via email and he sent it out today and it's due to be here Saturday !!

Thanks, @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose for getting this out today!

Well, @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose shipped my 18# VDH wing, I moved to Fort Lauderdale, I went by DGX and grabbed some hardware and a aluminum backplate (will probably rig another setup once I get the SS Freedom from Eric), I received blue webbing from Piranha and I rigged my first BP/W. Below are the shots of me setting it up. I think the plate rides a little low on my back so I may mess around with the straps some but it looks freaking awesome.

I've left the waist straps plenty long until I get it dialed in just right.
I bought 16' of navy blue webbing but I could have gotten away with 12' (good to know for the future).
I think I'll add some of the tube webbing on the left waist strap to act as a keeper for the excess webbing.

I need a bungee for my inflator hose and I'll be ready to roll.
I went with the 16" inflator hose on the VDH and probably should have gone shorter
I'll pick up a 12" next time I've over at DGX

By the way, I went in to DGX right as they were opening and Keith was great. He gave me some advice on rigging my first harness and gave me some more dive op recommendations local to FLL/Boca.

This is a picture from the 15th floor temporary housing apartment we are staying in until our household effects get delivered in May. It's Sunrise Harbor in Fort Lauderdale

View media item 207791
This is the 18# VDH Wing and the rest of the harness goodies:

View media item 207790
And the rest of the pics as I set up the backplate and wing
View media item 207781View media item 207782View media item 207783View media item 207784View media item 207785View media item 207786View media item 207787View media item 207788View media item 207789

Well, @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose shipped my 18# VDH wing, I moved to Fort Lauderdale, I went by DGX and grabbed some hardware and a aluminum backplate (will probably rig another setup once I get the SS Freedom from Eric), I received blue webbing from Piranha and I rigged my first BP/W. Below are the shots of me setting it up. I think the plate rides a little low on my back so I may mess around with the straps some but it looks freaking awesome.

I've left the waist straps plenty long until I get it dialed in just right.
I bought 16' of navy blue webbing but I could have gotten away with 12' (good to know for the future).
I think I'll add some of the tube webbing on the left waist strap to act as a keeper for the excess webbing.

I need a bungee for my inflator hose and I'll be ready to roll.
I went with the 16" inflator hose on the VDH and probably should have gone shorter
I'll pick up a 12" next time I've over at DGX

By the way, I went in to DGX right as they were opening and Keith was great. He gave me some advice on rigging my first harness and gave me some more dive op recommendations local to FLL/Boca.

This is a picture from the 15th floor temporary housing apartment we are staying in until our household effects get delivered in May. It's Sunrise Harbor in Fort Lauderdale

View media item 207791
This is the 18# VDH Wing and the rest of the harness goodies:

View media item 207790
And the rest of the pics as I set up the backplate and wing
View media item 207781View media item 207782View media item 207783View media item 207784View media item 207785View media item 207786View media item 207787View media item 207788View media item 207789

Looks great. Minus the wing what do you have invested?

Looks great. Minus the wing what do you have invested?

TL;DR - approximately $180

16' Navy Blue webbing ~ $24 (including expedited shipping so it would get to me before I moved; about $15 webbing cost)
Back Plate and accessories from DGX ~ $200 (I bought 10 serrated keepers and 6 D rings in addition to what I put on the rig so probably could have gotten away with about $160 for cam bands, 2 small weight pockets, bolt snaps, D rings, keepers, stainless buckle, nylon tube sheathing, neoprene shoulder protector sleeves.

Oh, and I had to buy a lighter to burn the webbing ends after cutting as well as box of white chalk to mark the webbing as I was dry fitting the rings and straps (didn't want black sharpie visible on my webbing)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom