beginner diver back plate and wing config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate your getting what you have to get. The only problem I have is finding out how much that is. I have been unable to ascertain a method of getting price and availability of the FP. I can't PM you.

Cheers -
At the moment the base price for the plate alone in satin finish is $200
Add glamour polish $50
Add rail bracket $75
Add bottom wedge bracket $20
There is no difference in performance between a satin and a polished plate, it’s all looks and bling.
If you are using a VDH wing or Oxycheq wing then you can use the plate by itself with no rail bracket or wedge block since those wings have roll control logs top and bottom which set the tank out from the plate nicely and allow room for the wing to do it’s thing. If you are using a wing with no roll control cushions or a centralized roll control system, or a wing with no slots or slots that do not line up properly then you will need to order the plate with a rail bracket and use it as an adapter. The wedge block is designed to hold the tank in a position with the bottom kicked out about 3 degrees. It’s also mandatory if the diver wants to use the plate with no wing. It can also be used in combination with the VDH wing and Oxycheq wings to move the bottom of the tank out for a better position for some divers. Both the rail bracket and wedge block go over the wing and bolt down so the wing is right up against the plate.
So as you can see, I set up the pricing structure in a way that people can get into a plate fairly reasonably (for what it is) then pick and choose which options they want or need.
Hope this explains it.

I’ll look into the PM feature and try and fix it.

I am assuming as a beginner he is asking about a standard pressed channel stamped plate. The one I have cost $60. and I've been very happy with it. But, then, I like my pu truck, too. :)

North Carolina Auto License Plate Scuba NC “First In Freedom” | eBay

Exactly. I was asking more as a general rule of thumb about pricing. I understand the high price of the freedom plate as I’ve recently started browsing the threads about it. I understand they are custom made by hand and labor intensive hence the price.

The FP is worth more than it costs in my opinion and it isn’t a consumable, requires no maintenance, works well with single or double hose regulators, I wish my SS one were heavier so I didn’t need the rail to hold extra weight but it’s very comfortable and secure, the aluminum one makes for a nice lightweight travel rig.

The FP is worth more than it costs in my opinion and it isn’t a consumable, requires no maintenance, works well with single or double hose regulators, I wish my SS one were heavier so I didn’t need the rail to hold extra weight but it’s very comfortable and secure, the aluminum one makes for a nice lightweight travel rig.
Get creative and cast up a lead wedge block of some sort that replaces the rail. You might be able to add 4-5 lbs.

In order not to make you jealous,
I guess I shouldn’t mention my 1/4” thick FP large that I made (one off) that weighs 10 lbs. by itself then?
If we meet up in Monterey sometime I’ll let you take it for a spin. If you like it we’ll talk.

Get creative and cast up a lead wedge block of some sort that replaces the rail. You might be able to add 4-5 lbs.

In order not to make you jealous,
I guess I shouldn’t mention my 1/4” thick FP large that I made (one off) that weighs 10 lbs. by itself then?
If we meet up in Monterey sometime I’ll let you take it for a spin. If you like it we’ll talk.
I already know I’ll like it, and I’ve been jealous of that plate since it was mentioned a while back! With my VDH 35 wing I can trap a 4lb soft weight under the rail and with the Dive Rite voyager XT wing I have enough space to get 7 to 8 lbs under the rail. Monterey it’s looking good for this weekend, next week maybe but I leave for curaçao on the 17th, second trip for the aluminum FP.

At the moment the base price for the plate alone in satin finish is $200
I do warm water rec diving with a 3mm shorty or a dive skin. For travel purposes, I'm wondering if Aluminum would be the way to go. I'm considering trying Sidemount after seeing someone mention that it's easier on the back. I've been diving with a BCD since I began diving, and, like the OP am looking at getting into BPW configuration. I want it to be a one and done thing. I'll spend the money as long as it makes sense. I've converted some regs to long hose primary donate and this would be the next step.

Thanks for the response -

I already know I’ll like it, and I’ve been jealous of that plate since it was mentioned a while back! With my VDH 35 wing I can trap a 4lb soft weight under the rail and with the Dive Rite voyager XT wing I have enough space to get 7 to 8 lbs under the rail. Monterey it’s looking good for this weekend, next week maybe but I leave for curaçao on the 17th, second trip for the aluminum FP.
Does the rail option held hold lead?

Does the rail option held hold lead?
No.
It’s just a welded bracket made out of rod that gives the tank a straight surface to sit. It can also be used as an adapter bracket for wings that would otherwise be incompatible. It allows another option to run cam bands under similar to a STA.
They weight an additional 1 lb. (slightly less for the small plate).
However, the bottom end of the bracket sits off the plate further (it’s taller) and some people, me included, found out that a soft weight can be lodged under the rail bars and held in securely adding another three or four lbs. of non ditchable weight to the rig.

I do warm water rec diving with a 3mm shorty or a dive skin. For travel purposes, I'm wondering if Aluminum would be the way to go. I'm considering trying Sidemount after seeing someone mention that it's easier on the back. I've been diving with a BCD since I began diving, and, like the OP am looking at getting into BPW configuration. I want it to be a one and done thing. I'll spend the money as long as it makes sense. I've converted some regs to long hose primary donate and this would be the next step.

I went with steel as we check luggage anyway, and it lets me drop a few pounds: I only use trim pockets on top camband with it. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom