Beginner dive site: end of Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_explorer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into doing my first dive after my OW license in the Caribbeans. I'd like to fly the week before Labour Day (end of august).

Ideally, what I'm looking for should be 10-20 m since I'm still a beginner. Something fun to do when I'm not diving would be good too. I'd probably prefer wrecks over reefs/wildlife (although both would be nice) as I'll be diving in Australia the month after in October where I'll see plenty of reefs/wildlife then. Inexpensive flight/accommodation would be nice, although I'm not too picky as I'm flying during the summer.

Recommendations?

There's a lot of wrecks just south of St. Thomas. Blue Island Divers Dive SItes It's also mostly shallow diving. The water will be really warm also, I dove all week in a t-shirt.

It's a big cruise port so there's other things to do there. The East End/Red Hook area is a lot quieter with good diving nearby. We did a couple of easy drift dives off Grass Cay that didn't exceed 50'. You can also day trip (car ferry) over to St. Johns or even Tortola in the BVI's via fast ferry - it takes an hour.(bring your passport) If you can work out the logistics, the Rhone is one of the signature wreck dives in that part of the Caribbean. It's a really big wreck - done in two dives as it's split in two. The deepest part is about 70' under the bow. There's also an easy swim-thru. Lots of interesting stuff on the stern side dive also.

Tortola is an option also, besides the Rhone there's several other wrecks nearby. It's also shallow diving - most dives don't exceed 70-80' to the bottom - we did many good dives in 40' or less. I don't know what there is to do on Tortola as we stayed on Virgin Gorda which is much quieter - besides sailing and watersports there's a few restaurants and the Baths but not much else.

Of course Bermuda is the wreck destination. There must be 2 dozen shallow wreck dives there - or more. The Ultimate Bermuda Shipwreck Guide | Blue Water Divers & Watersports (Bermuda)

Thanks a lot for this info, Steve. I'll look into it and see where it'll take me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom