Beginner camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickNYC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a beginner set up that won't cost and arm and a leg. I'm not looking to get pro quality pics of underwater life, but not looking for something completely sub-par either. I would like to avoid a strobe if I can, preferably something I can just tuck away in my bcd pocket or clip to a D-ring when I don't want to deal with it.

Anything come to mind?

Thanks

For what you are asking Intova IC600 or IC700.
The least espensive options in Digital underwater photography.

I have a Sea life DC600 (6MP). It's a decent set up. The package I got was less than $700 & included the strobe (not real big & cumbersome- actually can fold against the camera quite nicely), the whole camera/ strobe set- up is not super bulky or anything, camera, housing, carry bag & strobe base & care kit. Unless you're going to be diving in less than 20ft of water or literally right on top of your subject, you'll almost definitely need a strobe to bring out colors as the camera flash will no reach out very far by itself. If you remember the physics part of your training, the deeper you go, the less colors there are. The strobe helps to bring those colors back out. There are only a few drawbacks to the DC600 I've noticed. 1. the camera shuts itself off after a couple of minutes. 2. when it does shut itself down & you turn it on, you have to reset the camera for auto strobe each time & 3. the camera does tend to go through batteries quite quickly (maybe the way I charge them, I don't know), especially if I set the camera to not shut down after a couple of minutes of non use. Overall though, it's a great beginner camera set up without a huge price tag. Here's what the set- up looks like.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/SLFDC6P.jpg

I have a Fuji E900 digital camera and Ikelite housing. I spent about $350 and get good results without a strobe. You are welcome to take a look at my pics SCUBA CHICK. I am thinking about adding a strobe to my set-up to make the colors pop a bit more. This camera also includes the ability to shoot in raw which makes in more flexible. I can also set the white balance which is important to get the color balances correct.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will be leaning towards something that I can buy a strobe for later if need be, so the recommendations so far are great! Will be looking into those some more.

Anyone else?

The Sea and Sea DX-1G is definitely a great camera to start for "serious beginners".

Buy and Review digital underwater camera housings and point and shoot camera housings

Depending on how much an arm and a leg is for you, and depending on how serous you want to be in the future, you can choose between the 860G and the 1G. We have the full DX-1G catalog posted on our DX-1G page: Dive Tech Direct - buy dive lights and underwater photo and video Equipments

By reading through the catalog you'll learn some of the benefits of this setup and also help with your decision making on buying a camera even if you don't think this is the right setup for you.

I think I'm going to go with a Canon a720 IS and Canon housing.

Any serious objections to this set-up to start with?

The Sea and Sea DX-1G is definitely a great camera to start for "serious beginners".

Buy and Review digital underwater camera housings and point and shoot camera housings

Depending on how much an arm and a leg is for you, and depending on how serous you want to be in the future, you can choose between the 860G and the 1G. We have the full DX-1G catalog posted on our DX-1G page: Dive Tech Direct - buy dive lights and underwater photo and video Equipments

By reading through the catalog you'll learn some of the benefits of this setup and also help with your decision making on buying a camera even if you don't think this is the right setup for you.

I just went to the link and read about the camera, I did not notice if an adjustable F stop was on it. Does it come equiped with one? Being that I am camera illiterate I may not have unsederstood the lingo. Thank You

I have de Sea & Sea DX-1G and can confirm that you can adjust almost everything including the F-stop. In Manual mode you have full control over exposure duration and F-stop.
But I don't consider it a beginners camera because it has so many options. Previously I owned the DC500, the predecessor of the DC600 (Sealife) and I consider that more of a beginners camera. It delivers very good pictures in automatic mode and it is far cheaper than the DX-1G.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom