Befriending an Octo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've discovered an exceptionally large octopus in a spot that doesn't see many divers. I'd like to entice it out of its den but won't use any irritants to do it. Carrying a crab from where there are plenty to the octo's den would be problematic and killing one creature to be entertained by another would be somewhat less than ethical. Anyone have any ideas on how to make friends?

I assume that since you are in BC you have found a Pacific Giant Octo, and I don't have any experience with that particular type of octopus.

That being said, I found common reef octopus in the Carribean many times and often succeeded in interacting with them. I found that if I found one already out of its den it was easier to interact with them. This generally only happened at night when they were out hunting, but if it wasn't swimming and I slowly put my hand down right beside it and waited, it would almost always touch my hand, after a long wait during which it would just look at me.

If the octos were in their den, it was harder to engage them, but I still found that if I could see the octo or part of it and put my hand beside it, it would still often touch it. Patience is key as this often involved waiting immobile for a long time. With experience, I could usually tell when it was going to 'make a move' because it would turn one of its arms tentacle side up.

I always dived with a flourescent orange inflatable surface marker buoy and the octopuses often seemed to be interested in this item and if I put it down in front of them and waited, they would often try to grab it. I have read that octopuses are attracted to bright, shiny things, so you might try taking something similar with you to attract it. One good book I read about octos was "Octopus and Squid: the Soft Intelligence", by Jacques Cousteau.

All this being said, I would proceed with extreme cautioun when dealing with a Pacific Giant. The carribean reef octos I was dealing with were perhaps a foot or so in length and their strength was ASTOUNDING. The first time I put my hand down beside one and waited for it to touch me I thought it would make a tentative move, if it did anything at all, and I had to wait a LONG time, perhaps 5 minutes. When it did touch me, it went from nothing to suddenly GRABBING my arm so forcefully my whole body was pulled. It startled me quite badly, and I found the same type of strong grabbing, pulling behaviour with several of the other octos, where they played tug of war with my surface marker buoy, and if I hadn't been attached to the buoy by a string I might've lost. These guys are STRONG!!

An octo would never intentionally harm you but if a Carribean one-footer is that strong, I can't imagine the strength of a pacific giant, and they are very curious. Make sure you are prepared for various situations -- what if it pulls out my reg? or pulls off my mask? etc.

Good luck with your quest -- I think the octo is the most fascinating, beautiful animal on the planet and I fully understand your desire to "make friends". I also commend you on not wanting to feed it. I believe however well-intentioned, or however occasional, feeding wild animals changes their behaviour and is not good for them.

Let us know how it goes!

I feed them both in the wild and at the Aquarium. They LOVE crab, can't see why grabbing a red rock would be a be big problem. Otherwise some squid is a pretty good deal for them too. They may be much more active at night.

GPOs are strong, but tire quickly. I've had them some up and over me, but after pulling them away for a bit they usually mind their manners. Kind of.

Jack

I'd vote for the squid, make a visit to the bait shop & carry it in a wide mouth plastic jar with a screw top.
Once you have their attention they can be quite a pest & if he takes a liking to your mask (or some of your other gear), you may wind up going home without it.

I'm not sure if "befriending" a giant pacific octopus is the right thing to do. He might not want you to leave.

Just my 2 cents worth. I am just as curious as the next diver regarding octos. I like to watch them and visit their dens to see if I can get a better glimpse than the previous visit but then I continue my dive. I think that if they are in their den then I'd leave them undisturbed. If bothered too much they will find another location.
I am not sure if they are adaptable to divers as the wolf eels were at Ansell. If not many divers go to this site then maybe treat him to a crab and watch.

If not many divers go to this site ...
I guess that's another consideration to think about; making friends with a critter that many establishments feature on their menu may not be doing it any favors.
There are enough 2-legged bottom feeders out there that would think little of putting the neighborhood pet into a catch bag; one that size would be quite a wallet fattener. :shakehead:

I've been told by someone who knows about as much about GPOs as anyone (to put it mildly) that they might come out to check out if you wait patiently. It could take many minutes, and it might not happen at all, but they are very curious creatures...

I'd like to entice it out of its den but won't use any irritants to do it. ...Anyone have any ideas on how to make friends?

Perhaps you could use a toy submarine like this one?

nautilus_comet_12inch_305mm350th_3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom