Before I use a new tank....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a national retailer in my area who experimented with SCUBA gear at one of their local stores this year. Evidently it didn’t go well and they are phasing out all their gear, at attractive prices. My question is, if I buy a new Sherwood AL80 from them, do I have to (or need to) have it tested/inspected before using it? If so, what might my LDS charge me to do so?

If the tank is new in both meanings (unused and recently manufactured) it was normally hydro tested at the factory and it does not need a new test. With a steel tank you might worry that being stored without air and maybe somebody playing with the valve might have allowed some humidity to enter (so you'll probably ask for a visual inspection) but this is not an issue with AL.

I would just use it directly with no worries.

Of course, check the markings on the neck.

It will almost certainly need a visual inspection and it may or may not need a hydro test. New tank or not a hydro expires after 5 years and it is possible the tank while "new" has been sitting around for a while. Visual inspections are in the $15ish range will a fill. Hydros run anywhere from $15 to 30. Needing a hydro is certainly not a deal buster but if the cost of vis+hydro+tank is anywhere near what your LDS will sell you one with current vis and hydro, it's not a deal.
The hydro date will be stamped on the neck of the tank and will look something like 10#08 where 10 is the month, 08 is the year and the "#" will be some special character between the 2 dates, that is the ID of the hydro facility. A Luxfer stamp kinda looks like an up pointed arrowhead and is most likely who made the tank.

At least in my country's case (and I think the whole Europe is the same) it is mandatory by law to sell only tanks that have a valid hydro (the shop's duty is to re-test them if they were stored that much or return them to the manufacturer).

But I never saw a tank older than a few months waiting to be purchased in a shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom