Beer and rehydration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings SBers and I do not drink while I am diving but post dive I do enjoy having a few beers.
By few I mean 2 or 3 with a meal then I drink lots of water in between.
I always drink insane amounts of water though whenever I dive and have a relief valve so I do not have to worry!

When I drink G2 / Gatoraid or other drinks I like to mix them 50 / 50 with water.
I have found that this actually makes me feel better personally anyway.
Hydration is the best way to avoid getting bent so for me it is safe rather than sorry!

If I am doing deep dives I avoid alcohol all together just my practice.
When the deep dives are done then I am ready for a beer well after the dive.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Gatorade has too much sugar to be healthy for most people

Gatorade was developed by Univ of Florida (Gators, hence the name) to replenish electrolytes and sugars to COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYERS. So, unless this applies (with the resulting energy-expenditures) would recommend cutting 50/50 with water.

Glucose is a large molecule so if not burning, stays in gut and can cause an osmotic diarrhea, thereby worsening dehydration. :popcorn:

This reminds me of a rather poor Chinese study in the mid 1980s that Glen Egstrom (tongue in cheek) brought to my attention. It showed that hard alcohol consumption post dive lowered DCS risks. I'll stick with Chuck Shilling's advice: no alcohol within 24 hours of a dive.

If the 24 rule was truly relevant to DCS, the incidence of DCS would be a hell of a lot higher than it is

If the 24 rule was truly relevant to DCS, the incidence of DCS would be a hell of a lot higher than it is
Not really, what we were discussing was nitrogen exposures that approached or crossed the no-D line, that was felt to require a 24 hr interval. The second point is that even though you plan a trivial no-D dive, it is quite possible that a problem or emergency that has nothing to do with you might easily change your exposure. Best not to drink and dive, much better to dive then drink.

Thing about working out, it doesn't create nitrogen bubbles in your system.

Perhaps the researchers should have taken this into consideration.

the K

What's good for you today will be bad for you tomorrow and what's bad for you today will be good for you tomorrow. Who cares, drink and be merry.

The time to hydrate is prior to the dive or planned exercise...not after.

In the past I ran K9 SAR Teams, we worked with the Feds. The FEMA docs put it very bluntly, if one needs the electrolytes in sports drinks it is too late.....

Tortuga,

When i say Gatorade is good for after working out, I'm talking about like 2-3hrs of intense sweating and working your ass off which is normally what i do. This may not apply to some people who are at the gym just to use an olyptical. There are plenty of other electrolyte supplements out there that are way better for you.

gatorade or beer????

hmmmm....

if it wasn't for the alcohol,beer would be a damn healthfood!!!!!!!

life on the edge...i'll have a beer!!!!

have fun
yaeg

Back
Top Bottom