Been Playing With My C-5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, guys.. Finally got some time this weekend to take some shots with my new toy!! I have been trying out various settings and various modes and am starting to understand all that the camera can do. There are so many different options, particularly in the fine detail. I will have to do a lot more playing around to find out what the optimum settings are for different subjects and conditions. I am planning on getting the PT15 housing in due course but am waiting till I am totally comfortable on land. I have also tried printing out (Canon i950) and am really pleased at the 10x8 and A4 quality. I printed the attached on A4 - it was taken on SHQ, infinity setting and the detail of the stonework and branches in print is very good. (Don't look at attachment if you want something underwater - it's a castle!) This, of course, is totally different to the type of thing I hope to be doing underwater but it's a start!!

Thanks to all you guys on the board for some great advice - I have been reading the threads on the 5050 and learning lots. More experimentation to follow and eventually some underwater pics.

Since either because of water temp or trip schedules, I won't be able to get mine back in the water until April so I've been taking topside pics. It helps me get familiar with the camera but U/W exposures are going to be totally different. I'm amazed at what this little camera can do, too. Even my old HP712 printer is producing good results.

Dee, just wondering what effect the water temps have on the C-5050? Temps around here are getting into the mid-low 40s. The only think I can think of is the batteries may not provide enough voltage as temperatures decline.

I've used my digital in 37 degree water w/o a problem. You car battery works in sub zero weather, you camera battery should do as well.

Cecil, you are quite right. Batteries should work in sub-zero temperatures, however, certain electronic devices have operating tolerances that may be more narrow than others. As a battery cools off, it will still work, but the chemical reaction that allows the battery to function will also slow, resulting in diminished output. I am wondering at what point will this affect the c-5050 (if any) should the ambient temperature drop.

First off...you won't catch me in 40-something degree water to test it! :wink: :eek:ut:

Cecil's right, your housing is going to insulate it as far as temperature goes. You may have more trouble with fogging if you prepare your camera/housing in a warm place but other than that, nothing should change.

I just got back from Bonaire and used my C-5050 with the Tetra 5050 housing. what can I say so far I am pretty happy with my first results, but I know there is more to it when it comes down to using manual settings, etc.. so far I have been taking shots on fully automatic mode.

checkout
http://gallery.wreckvalley.com

-VT

You've got some great shots in there!

VTernovski once bubbled...
I just got back from Bonaire and used my C-5050 with the Tetra 5050 housing. what can I say so far I am pretty happy with my first results, but I know there is more to it when it comes down to using manual settings, etc.. so far I have been taking shots on fully automatic mode.

checkout
http://gallery.wreckvalley.com

-VT

Enjoyed looking at your site. I'm not familiar with the "sized" file extension. What is it? Thanks TedJ

Back
Top Bottom