Been a long time , couple questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManitouDan

Registered
Reaction score
Going to resume diving after 3-4 years off . I picked up diving to enjoy time with my son and he gave it up for the time being ( in college and busy) . Going back to Coz Nov 18-24th . Staying at Blue Angel . Couple questions -- My wife doesnt dive just snorkels , what dive op or boat would take me as a diver to the best shallow water snorkel sites ( columbia or palancar shallows ? ) and let me do a single tank dive below the snorkelers ? What should I expect to pay ?
Also I see some chatter about dive sites to the north , What do they offer as compared to the normal sites in the south ? Are just certain ops doing these trips ?
Also my wife is a turtle lover , we did the turtle release last year and it was so FANTASTIC , whats the best locale for her to see a turtle ? we saw one at Punta Sur last year but I must say with the current that an exhausting swim out to the reef and back -- the resting " islands" were not out when we were there . pulled up on shore . Cant wait . Thanks for any help

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2013 at 10:58 AM ----------

Also , I want to explore night snorkeling , What size light as far as lumens should I need ?

There is snorkeling around the string ray prison next to the BA, depth about 18'.
I use a UK4led light which is 400 lumens, more than adequate. I also have the DRIS 1000 lumen light.
You could go down to the money bar and I have heard that is a very good place to snorkel.
Have fun.

As long as you're staying with Blue Angel, you might want to ask about their big boats that go out mid-day. I think at least one of them is designed around mainlanders and/or cruise ship people with a mix of snorkeler and divers. I've never been on one of those-- there's no reason for us to want to do that, but for you and your family, it might make sense.

I have not seen mixed boats in Cozumel like that but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The issue I see is that the current on the surface and below can be different speeds. Additionally divers can duck behind coral heads while the snorkelers cannot. I suspect the divers and the boat may become separated. Not a huge deal but the boat captain normally follows the bubbles or if he can see you, follows the divers.

You might try Chankanaab Park. You should be able to shore dive and accommodate the snorkelers. You may get lockers also. The beach clubs going south may also offer the same. We don’t use them for that so I have little info.

For boat diving, you will have to have a DM with you inside the Marine Park and to the North you should have a DM especially since you haven't dived or dived Cozumel recently. I think every dive company taking you North will have a DM without exception as a matter of practice. It seems you have not dived to the North before so trying to go DM-less would be foolish and I have not seen that many snorkel boats to the North. The water is generally a bit rougher.
The currents to the North are generally faster and may run out seaward more so than the Southern sites. Maybe that's just my experience. During the right times of year, schools of Eagle Rays are there (later than now) and I have seen large turtles. I can tell you that photography is tougher there due to the current and in many places there is not alot to hide behind. I think many Dive Ops will go there, it just depends on the divers and planning.

I have seen turtles every dive site on the southern sites and generally on every dive but some sites are deeper and we were diving. I don't think there is one particular site where you will see more turtles than others. I don't snorkel much but when diving Colombia shallows I don't recall seeing turtles that much but maybe I just was there at the wrong time.

I am currently using UK Q40's for night dives but I do have a spotter light on my camera. The Q40's use 4 AA batteries and puts out 77 Lumens. They work fine for me. I have used much larger light using 8 C batteries and around 400 lumens but it's too much for me on Cozumel night dives besides all the batteries. I guess it depends on how far you want to see. If you are shallow then a smaller light should work fine.

So I cant dive down around 20-30 feet under some snorkelers without a dive master ?

yep, what Ms. Ann said...

So I cant dive down around 20-30 feet under some snorkelers without a dive master ?

No - per marine park regulations and local law, you are required to have a local DM/Marine Park guide in the water with you - this is also required for snorkelers in the Marine Park. It's been this way for the past 20+ years and I don't see that ever changing!

Dave above was referencing snorkeling in the north - sorry but there are no snorkeling sites by boat in the north - only along the shore from the hotels.

As far as getting a boat to take you out to Palancar or Columbia shallows for one tank of diving and snorkeling...I guess if you were willing to pay a private boat to do that any shop could do it. But don't count on a regular boat going out there for one tank.

As mentioned, some shops have a combo snorkel diving trip, but it's going to be for a two-tank dive, not a single tank - unless it's a one-tank afternoon trip to Paradise reef. That's just the reality of logistics and economical feasibility here.

Reactions: MMM
As long as you're staying with Blue Angel, you might want to ask about their big boats that go out mid-day. I think at least one of them is designed around mainlanders and/or cruise ship people with a mix of snorkeler and divers.
They usually drop the divers and take the snorkelers somewhere else.

The only place I've seen one tank dives and snorkelers is Palancar Beach club. It's not a dive "op" in the traditional sense but an operator off the beach at the beach club. They do serve snorkelers and divers and I believe they do one tank trips to Palancar while the snorkelers do Columbia Shallows and the south end of Palancar. You would need to take an long expensive cab ride there or have a rental car.

sd-- Thanks for the info , would anyone know a contact email or webpage to find out details on the boat from Palancar that might be able to fix me up .. I Will also check with Blue Angel , Thanks again .

Back
Top Bottom