Becoming a Dive Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Diving Dubai :)

Great to hear you're more interested in LEARNING as much about diving as you can, to improve your skills...rather than rushing to become a dive instructor, which is a route many divers take actually! :/
Internships are getting really popular because of this, because there's a minimum duration. In that time, professional diving candidates on our internship programs will be advised by our Go PRO team to get involved in all the professional dive lifestyle has to offer: assisting on PADI courses and programs, marine conservation projects, observe the running of a dive operation in terms of the business of diving.
I'm ONLY assuming this: you don't have any concrete plans. Keeping an open-mind in the dive industry will best prepare anyone for its very changeable nature - especially if working as a full time dive educator in the tourism industry! Previously, we have had interns who were already trained in SSI, BSAC, CMAS, and so on, and they gain their PADI certifications too. The reason for this, is they will become highly employable to dive operators, and the freedom to teach anywhere! PADI is already an international organisation, and you can find a PADI operator in more than 180 countries. That being said, there are diving communities, in Europe for example, who would prefer to learn the dive education of other training organisations.

When I dive with a divecenter, I never do a checkdive or want a guide. I am not a child that needs to be hold by hand. A guide is for experienced divers bull****. Divecenters who think you need a guide, ignore them and take a better divecenter.
So if you want to guide beginners, or people who want a guide, no problem, but do a divemaster course. Not a 'guiding' course. The problem is that dm are bad paid, so it is better to do the instructor course then too. Then you can teach too. A dm course is nice to do.

Last edited:
When I dive with a divecenter, I never do a checkdive or want a guide. I am not a child that needs to be hold by hand. A guide is for experienced divers bull****. Divecenters who think you need a guide, ignore them and take a better divecenter.

While Like you I am not a fan of being Guided, and the majority of diving in unguided it is a fact that in some parts of the world the local rules state that all divers have a guide. I'm never adverse to a check dive - I have nothing to hide, indeed generally because the dive staff note that I and my wife indeed can dive to a high standard we get significantly more latitude than others. Given that all dive centres are legally responsible for the people they take out diving I play by their rules and give them an easy time, makes my diving more fun too

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 11:56 AM ----------

While those courses cover "theory" for sure you'll be spending a lot more time - and a LOT of money - on practical application. You'll also probably need to spend a lot of money on gear that you won't need after the class if you don't intend to become a tech diver. There are plenty of dive theory books available. In fact, you can probably source the DSAT materials specifically. The DSAT tech progression - done with a good instructor - is a great program. But between course fees, materials, fills, boat costs, and extra gear rental you could be looking at $1,500 - $2,000. If you end up needing/deciding to purchase gear... you can double that cost.

Good point and noted, however if you were to talk to my wife she would tell you that I've never been adverse to investing in new equipment and often can find a tenuous excuse to do so. However she is still quite proud the she got one over on me and brought me a Dive X dpv as a wedding present (she already had one), thus beating me to the draw.

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 12:10 PM ----------

I'm ONLY assuming this: you don't have any concrete plans. Keeping an open-mind in the dive industry will best prepare anyone for its very changeable nature - especially if working as a full time dive educator in the tourism industry! Previously, we have had interns who were already trained in SSI, BSAC, CMAS, and so on, and they gain their PADI certifications too. The reason for this, is they will become highly employable to dive operators, and the freedom to teach anywhere!

You are right in that I don't have any concrete plans apart from those in the original post. I'm already a "Split brain" being both PADI and BSAC qualified, and would probably ensure that I'm equally qualified with both as their courses have differing ideas to get to the same end point. From there if I needed to it would be no real problem cross training to another agency (as I understand it)

All my future diving will be somewhere warm, I have absolutely no desire to ever return to Europe again(the cold and the Tax are a huge deterrent)

For those who have pointed out rightly that the industry is low paid - Yup I know that and it is not my intention to rely on the income.

WHile I stated in the original post that I had no desire to teach, I've previously completed a formal instructor course (Teaching Aerospace inspection methods,) and actually enjoy passing on knowledge so perhaps I will find that I enjoy teaching dive skills. My one reservation has always been teaching children that until recently I've viewed in the same category as rabid dogs (to be avoided!) However having "gained) two great step kids even that outlook has mellowed somewhat (who knew kids could be fun?)

Anyway all good advice and tips so far, will keep a look out for any more :)

---------- Post added January 4th, 2015 at 12:17 PM ----------

WIll drop you a PM as we are looking at visiting Kapalai this year and tieing it in with another trip to Komodo area too and having a nice long dive vacation around August or September

If you are already a BSAC DL with ADP I expect you'd not get much from the PADI Tec courses. They start with an assumption of no knowledge of deco. I'd suggest a unique selling proposition for being a BSAC Advanced Instructor somewhere warm. That way you have a market of BSAC DL looking to do AD but needing to do the unknown site stuff with an AI to sign them off. Many clubs do not have an AI and this becomes the main barrier to Advanced Diver. Put an ad in Scuba and Diver and get the odd gig.

I'm still trying to figure out how to become a "Professional Beach Bum". If I figure it out, I will let you guys know. :wink:

Adam

I'd suggest skipping the entire "professional" route.

If you want to dive when you retire, just go diving. If you want money before then, find something you like to do, that pays well and do it.

<SNIP>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom