Becoming a commercial diver, was it better before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papyone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello to all,

As you will read in my new story, becoming a commercial or offshore diver was much easier some decades ago. No need to spend a lot of money into a diving course to receive a diver certificate.
At that time the rule was: You can dive then you can go.

Was it better then? Not at all sure about it.

What do you think about it?

http://papyone.over-blog.com/2015/05/i-m-a-sat-diver-or-the-story-of-my-first-offshore-work.html

Hey Papyone, great Story - thanks for sharing that experience.

As to your question, methinks it was easier to break into the offshore diving market in days past ( I started in 1980 ), though I'm not positive about inshore work. I think the need for inshore divers remains a little more constant than the offshore realm, though both industries are subject to the vagaries of the general economy. Certainly, the oil patch has long been known as a "Boom or Bust" Industry.

I think a principal difference between "now & then" is the preponderance of dive schools available today, and the numbers of grads they crank out is far disproportionate to the available jobs. I recall having the luxury of several opportunities to begin my career, and choosing the one I felt best suited my goals; nowadays, the young lads I know who are busting to get offshore seem to be stymied at every turn, that despite the fact that they have every bloody ticket they could possibly have as a diver!

My advice to these guys has always been to attain a journeyman's certificate in mechanics ( preferably diesel ), electrician, hydraulics tech., electronics, plumbing, or, my personal favorite - HVAC tech. ( guys who could service the ECU's offshore were highly valued - and rare! ). A diver needs SOMETHING SPECIAL to set them apart - to put their resume' at the top of the pile. It is not enough these days to simply be a qualified diver.

I teach wannabe Professional Firefighters, and they face the same quandry - too many guys looking for too few jobs. They get the same advice - differentiate yourself!

It has always been true that those who want something the most will get it; it is the smarter individual who analyses whats needed, then sets about getting those needs fulfilled in the most expedient manner.

Talk to people. Write letters. Access all the advice you can muster. Formulate a plan. Execute that plan.

Best of luck to all who want "The Life" - for me, it was definitely THE RIDE of my entire life!

Regards,
DSD

Papyone, I read all your stories and enjoyed them immensely. Thanks for a chance to look into a bygone era.

It is always easier to enter a field during a boom times. However it is unlikely that there will ever be a boom-time for commercial divers like the 1970s and early 80s when Saturation Diving was a new technology and the North Sea was exploding… mostly figuratively. :wink:

It is a lot easier from the standpoint of safety and the ability to get training. It is a lot harder because the growth rate is pretty slow and well-paid workers tend to hold onto their jobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom