Beavertail takes another fisherman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Body of missing fisherman recovered off the coast of Jamestown | WPRI 12 Eyewitness News

JAMESTOWN, R.I. (WPRI) — The remains of a missing fisherman were recovered by rescue crews Thursday morning off the coast of Jamestown.
The body of Chin Liao was found at about 8:30 a.m. in the heavy surf along the eastern shoreline of Beavertail State Park, according to Jamestown police.
Liao, 55, of Westford, Mass., was reported missing by his family Wednesday when he failed to return home.
Westford police contacted Jamestown police, who soon found Liao’s vehicle parked at the state park. With the help of the Jamestown Fire Department, Department of Environmental Management and U.S. Coast Guard, they immediately began searching the area.

This is why I caution divers that never dived Beavertail to find a diver(s) that has and dive it with the locals.

This is unfortunate, I dive fort wetherill sometimes and have looked over beavertail on google maps. Seemed like the current would be the biggest danger with the whole bay emptying right through there. That's what has kept me away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't understand. The article says he was a fisherman not a diver. ???

I don't understand. The article says he was a fisherman not a diver. ???

The title of the post also says fisherman. Why the surprise? What's to understand? Beavertail is a popular fishing and diving spot. IMO the east side is most dangerous shore diving site in RI.

This is another example of the dangers at that site. Just because he wasn't a diver doesn't mean whatever happened him couldn't happen to a diver, especially if the diver isn't geared up and slips into the water. Just getting close to the water line there puts one at risk.

Bottom line I want anyone considering diving there to be aware of the risks.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2015 at 07:08 PM ----------

This is unfortunate, I dive fort wetherill sometimes and have looked over beavertail on google maps. Seemed like the current would be the biggest danger with the whole bay emptying right through there. That's what has kept me away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Current, surf, undertow, and very slick rocks make for a very risky dive site. One needs to pick the right day/night and time to dive there. Timing is important, if the planned time can't be hit then the dive should be aborted.

Also conditions change quickly, conditions can be bad enough at the end of a dive that if those conditions existed pre dive the dive would have been aborted.

Back
Top Bottom