Beam Angle for Hi-Vis Night Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

…Thanks to antattack and Jax for the Supernova suggestion. I was a little hesitant at $350 but found the Supernova Plus for $230 at Cave Adventurers. Happy New Year and good diving to all.

They shipped the 500/180 Lumen Supernova instead of the 1000/350 Lumen Supernova Plus that was advertised (now corrected). My question is what Lumen level do you use most on you Supernova? I am starting to think this model/lumen level will suit my purpose better than the Plus. After looking at the beam, I fear that 1000 Lumens will be too high and the 350 will be on the low side.

I think you are correct. The 500 lumen light is great in just about any situation.

The SuperNova I own was the very first model. It only goes on, and off and it only has one power level- 500 lumens. It has not hot spot, just a nice broad flood of light. It works well for me in all situations.

I always dive with a buddy. The dives are the most fun when our lights are of similar brightness. It's amazing, but my friend Mr. Bill dives with a little tiny dim light on night dives off our local wharf. Once your eyes get used to it, the tiny dim light is fine... unless I pull out my 1400 lumen light and curse the darkness and his night adjusted eyes. When I dive with him, I use my little 230 lumen light with the funky switch and enjoy the spooky dive, knowing that my 500 lumen light is there as a backup.

So, if you are buddy diving and your 500 lumen light matches up with your buddy's kit, you are have a happy combination. I'd stick with it and enjoy the long battery life!

Back
Top Bottom