Beach Wreck Diving - Hatteras Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

I'm planning on doing some beach wreck diving off Hatteras Island (North Carolina) starting in the Spring of 2007. I've been on a number of wrecks in this area, but it's been awhile since I've been there.

Anyone visited LST-471 or other sites recently?

Any news MUCH appreciated!

THANKS...

Drewski...I dive off of NC but not Hatteras. But contact Bill McDermott at Outer Banks dive shop...The one in Nags Head. I am sure he will be able to give you all the info you are looking for. Hope this helps.

I dive out of Cape Hatteras every year through Outer Banks Diving. I would not waste my time beach diving off of Nags Head (just my opinion). I like the wreck diving out of Hatteras plus it is a great location for other activites, restaurantes and such. Good crew and great shop.

Hi Guys:

Thanks for the responses. I speak with Bill McDermott on a regular basis. Back in the 1980s we went through the NAUI ITC together and I was his roommate for a couple of years (I could tell you some GOOD stories about him). He's a GREAT guy and I'll be doing some diving with him next year.

Anyway, from what I've heard, beach wreck diving off Hatteras isn't as popular as it used to be. We used to dive LST 471 all the time, it was an awesome wreck located about 100 yards offshore and 300 yards north of the Hatteras Island Fishing Pier. It was somewhat intact with nice open swim throughs and lots of fish. I've seen 100+ of viz, a "good" day was 50 FT, an "average" day about 30 FT. I don't know how good the viz is now with all the recent development, but with the Gulf Stream just off shore I'm thinking it's got to be OK at least occasionally. I found that diving wrecks off the beach taught me a lot, was cheap and a GOOD time.

If anyone is up to it in the spring, PM me or post here and I'll see what I can organize. There's a TON of stuff just off the beach, all you need to do is find parking...

THANKS...

Drewski- Don't forget the Huron. I like it a lot and I am sure you have dove it before as many do when at the OBX. Last time I dove it it was nice with 30+ viz. I also am acquainted with Bill. Drank some beer with him at Old Dominion University in the 70's.

I did a review of www.capt-jt.com on SB. I went out with him 3 times for 18 dives. I checked out the other operations and liked JT's the best. It's a hour or more ride to the best sites but worth the ride. From my talks to the shop in Nags head the water is colder than in Hatteras and the visability is very poor but you can call the shop there to ask them. My dives in Hatteras had visability from 80' to 5' at 100' wrecks with the average about 30'-50' with strong currents. JT's website provides a lot of information.

Holy cow I would love to hear those stories about Bill! He is a great friend of mine and I just dove with him all last week in cave country.

OBXDIVEGUY:
Holy cow I would love to hear those stories about Bill! He is a great friend of mine and I just dove with him all last week in cave country.
Oh, the things I could tell you. Ask him about the cold eggplant parmesan for breakfast, the boat load of cops on the Seafox and the dive to the U-85/Benson back when he, Jim and I were diving together.

BTW, I'm trying to get hooked up with him for the Florida trip after Christmas. Are you going too?

james croft:
Drewski- Don't forget the Huron. I like it a lot and I am sure you have dove it before as many do when at the OBX. Last time I dove it it was nice with 30+ viz. I also am acquainted with Bill. Drank some beer with him at Old Dominion University in the 70's.
I was hoping somebody would respond like this! If you had 30+ on the Huron (a great dive BTW), that means the beach dives still have good viz. I'm sure happy to hear that...

I'm a 2 time ODU grad, I roomed with Bill during the first try. I seem to remember that geology was his thing back then...

THANKS!

Drewski:
I was hoping somebody would respond like this! If you had 30+ on the Huron (a great dive BTW), that means the beach dives still have good viz. I'm sure happy to hear that...

I'm a 2 time ODU grad, I roomed with Bill during the first try. I seem to remember that geology was his thing back then...

THANKS!

I've done tons of dives on the Huron, and I remember some 30+ viz days. Not often, but it happened.

Yeah, I'll be on the New Years trip. Too bad you couldn't make this last trip. We had a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom