Beach Diving Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airraider1

Reaction score
The only good beach diving resort I've ever heard of is El Cid La Ceiba. I've stayed at the Iberostar and The Allegro and know about them. I've heard the whole cruise ship scene has ruined El Cid. Any suggestions on other places? I'd like to do some beach dives next time I'm there.

As you know, Coz is not a shore diving destination, but here's a few sites:

1. Nice reef & sunken barge in front of El Presidente . On site shop, Scuba-Du, will rent you stuff. You'll be stopped by a guard in the driveway (very chi-chi hotel)--make up a room number, like 78.

2. Broken up small airplane in front of El Cid/La Cieba. On site shop, Aqua Safari, will rent you stuff.

3. Some nice patch reef, e.g., Pico's Reef, off Villablanca Hotel. Near to Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium which will rent you stuff.

4. Trash dump off Barracuda Hotel is not scenic but loaded with marine life. Serviced by Dive Paradise, they will rent you stuff.

5. Chankanaab Marine Park has a modest entry fee & some nice patch reef. Rent or bring your own gear; must have a DM.

6. Paradise Reef across from Villa Dzul Ha (between Presidente & Chankanab). Hog's is about 1/2 mile north for rentals.

7. Nice reef off the northern hotels, e.g., El Cozumeleno. Pepe's & Scuba Du up that way will rent tanks.

Watch out for boat traffic.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Yes, there is decent shore diving in front of the Caribe Blu (Previously La Reina; previously Lorena Hotel; previously La Perla). The onsite Blue Angel is only steps from the water & will rent you tanks. Small, protected cove for entry, roped off area for training & not much boat traffic.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

PLG has a dock that attracts a fair amount of marine life. Just put in some new ladders. Be careful of boat traffic.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

simonk999:
I have heard that the shore dive off the Hotel Lorena/Blue Angel is ok. Can anyone confirm?

-Simon
Yes, as a frequent guest at that hotel I have done that dive many times; it's especially good at night. The best area close to there is about 100 yards north and maybe 50 offshore, but be careful of boat traffic; swim out and back at depth.

A variation on that is to put in at Villablanca and swim out to the wall (again, at depth) and drift down to the lighthouse just north of the Caribe Blu. The cable from the lighthouse to the mainland is marked by a buoy where it goes over the wall, and it runs into shore at about a 45 degree angle so it's easy to follow on in. It aint Santa Rosa, but it's not bad and the price is right.

Any shore diving you do around Cozumel, you should always carry a safety sausage in case you have to surface when you are out from shore. There is an incredible amount of boat traffic up and down the coast there and some of it is quite close in, so caution is extremely important. Krista McColl (recording artist who did the song "In These Shoes?") got herself killed by surfacing in front of a boat off Cozumel.

In addition to what has been mentioned about La Ciba and Villablanca try this if you are really good on air. We do this dive every time we go.

Be carefull this is for advanced divers only an apparently not recommended.

Here it goes....stop off at Papa Hogs or Dive Paradise (accross from the Villablanca)rent your tanks and weights.

Drive down the street to La Ciba.Set up your gear and walk thru the loby to the pier.Enter.Swim about 400 yards out.This will take maybe 20 minutes.You should be at the wall.Drift,drift , drift....listen for boat trafic. When you hear the trafic look up at where they are headed.Start heading back into shore.

You should run accross the swimming area at Papa Hogs.head to shore.You should wind up right in front of DP/PH's. Exit. Take your tanks to the rental area.Repeat if you had a good time.

This dive takes nearly an hour to do and your air consumption excellent to do this dive.

About Villa Blanca.. I did a night snorkel dive there at the Papa Hogs side.There is tons of life and I stayed in the water until I got REALLY cold.

Ron

Went on a very good night dive last month from PLG up to the Barracuda hotel. Took at cab back to the PLG. Even saw a small Octopus and a spotted Moray.

Back
Top Bottom