Be delicate with those silicone seals!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased a whites fusion with the SLT system and silicone seals. well on my first dive I tore a wrist seal while doffing the suit. I ordered a set of latex seals through DRIS and installed both of the latex seals so I would have the same seals on both wrists (I'm anal like that). Well in the process of removing the seals from the wring I damaged both of them using a rounded tool to remove like the whites video shows. The silicone seals are comfortable but I'm giving up on them, I have around 200 dives on my old drysuit and the latex seals are in perfect condition.

I have a fusion and bought some silicon seals and 1st dive they leaked, replaced then that set lasted me 12 dives then replaced npw my current set at 10 dives but showing signs of impeding doom already. They are too fragile and im gentle with them, not abusive. But my latex seals lasted me 170 dives without issues.

My Si Tech silicone seals have been quite sturdy, having no problems with an accidental encounter with a ring and hanger end.

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

As a new product, there can always be flaws. There have been some molding issues, that couldn't be visually seen on past batches. Which is why we have them warrantied :wink: Si Tech is taking care of all of our customers with new seals. Now, does anyone want to have to deal with warranty issues? Of course NOT...but, it's a new product and it is having improvements made all the time as they see these issues on a grand scale. At least they are compensating for the flawed ones with new seals. A PITA none the less, but better than just losing your money on a bad seal. I can't speak for other dealers, and how they handle it, but we warranty all the silicon seals sold thru our shop.

There is a new version out now, that should have zero issues. We probably have a failure rate of under 5%(old system)....larger than it should be, but not an epidemic by any means. This is why we 100% tell every one of our customers to make sure you have a back up set of seals. You bought the replaceable system so you don't have to scrap a dive...don't get caught having the system but not having something to put in it.

Andy, your problem is you didn't buy it from us :D

They really look nice and seem very strong. I don't like ring systems thou. Will have to wait and see how the product develops.

Andy, your problem is you didn't buy it from us :D

Ya I know:depressed:, but I had to support my local shop that has been very good to me. The seals are being replaced but I had them send me latex seals instead. Thank you for getting the seals that I ordered out so quick. The neck seal you sent me (the real thin one) was for my old suit but it looked comfortable, I installed it in my fusion and it is even more comfortable than the silicone. We will see how it lasts but I really do like it. If you look up Murphys Law in the dictionary you will probably see my picture there, if a product is going to have a problem it will happen to the one I purchase. The Si Tech seal problem could be .0001% and I would be the one that has the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom