BCD's for Tropical use-Comments on Cressi Aqualight R BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a Cressi Aqualight R BCD about 6 months ago and have used it for about 25 dives.

What I like about it is that it fits me perfectly, it's lightweight and relatively compact for traveling, has 2 tank straps, a padded lumbar support and it lets me float on my easily on my back on the surface.

However, lately I've had some misgivings and problems with this BCS. Shortly after I got it one of the tabs of the plastic pocket zippers broke. No big deal though because I could still open the pocket easily enough.

However I just got back from San Andres Island, Columbia where I had some more serious problems. The Cressi has an integrated weight system which is different than most you may have seen. The weights are placed inside of a pouch on each side of the BCD and then the pouch is folded over and clipped to keep it closed. The problem is that even with the clips tightened to their maximum, I had 2 incidents where a few weights fell out and which cause me to surface prematurely.

Fortunately this ocurred on my second dives so depth and faster than normal ascent
weren't a problem. I also noted that the fabric side of the pouches attached to the BCD itself is stressed and starting to break. This is a problem which I will address with Cressi but plan to sell the BCD once it's repaired and get another one.

I've read that the Mares Morphus might be a good alternative for tropical diving because it seems to have certain of the positive attributes of the Cressi.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Why not keep the Cressi and buy a weight belt?

Good post. hanks for info. Lucky you that Cressi is in New Jersey (Bergen Cty)so you will be able to speak to them corporate if nec essary. But I will also tell you that having had a Cressi BC in the past they are a good company and will do what they have to do to satisfy you as a customer. I actually swapped for a different model after using one.

wow, i was considering buying that model. now i won't!

victor:

I would like a integrated weight system because my upper body is more bouyant and with weight belts I tend to float along diagonally...int weights would help correct this.

watch_the_bubbles:
victor:

I would like a integrated weight system because my upper body is more bouyant and with weight belts I tend to float along diagonally...int weights would help correct this.

I wonder if it is your BC that is buoyant not your upper body.

One option would be to test a Alu BP/Wing and a weight belt. These can be very basic so are a few pounds negative, they also pack very small.
If you are warm water diving in a dive skin or 3mm shorty you can end up with 0 to 8lbs on the weight belt.
Note test, for some reason they are more expensive than fancy BCD's and are not for everyone.

Maverick Diving are doing a deal on the Sea Quest Passport BCD. Might be worth checking out.

I like weight belts, everyone knows how to release them, so in an emergency there is less confusion. I have read too many threads where a diver is strugling to stay on the surface and no one releases their integrated weights. Sometimes with tragic results.

I have an Aqualight R, and I use weight-belt....
easy to use and more reliable...

I am looking at the Sea Quest Latitude.....XL weighs only 7.2 lbs.....I do not care for a back inflate...like the Jacket style....I am buying this for traveling as my US Divers Cruise BC is dying after 8 years-400 dives.

Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom