bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bdilliner

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Non certified looking to get started. I have done a couple try dives and loved it. Future goal, being a fireman, would be to work up to join my local search and rescue dive team. I have purchased everything except my bc, any input?

S
Non certified looking to get started. I have done a couple try dives and loved it. Future goal, being a fireman, would be to work up to join my local search and rescue dive team. I have purchased everything except my bc, any input?
SP Hydros. Just got mine. Many people here will say it’s stupid to get it but I’m really excited. Lots of videos on this BC.

Welcome. Talk to the rescue team that you’re wanting to join. I would be surprised if they don’t have equipment requirements. Unless you’re talking way in the future, in which case that’s not really relevant for now.

My recommendation is to try a few BCs/BPWs before you buy. If you run out and buy something right off, you might not even like it in six months. That was my experience.

You want recommendations though...check out a Deep 6, HOG, or DiveGearExpress Back Plate/Wing (BP/W) setup.

Welcome. Talk to the rescue team that you’re wanting to join. I would be surprised if they don’t have equipment requirements. Unless you’re talking way in the future, in which case that’s not really relevant for now.

My recommendation is to try a few BCs/BPWs before you buy. If you run out and buy something right off, you might not even like it in six months. That was my experience.

You want recommendations though...check out a Deep 6, HOG, or DiveGearExpress Back Plate/Wing (BP/W) setup.
Thank you, it would be way in the future. I do believe in training in what you are going to use so that's where i'm unsure weather to go with jacket or back inflation.

Wait until you are certified to make the decision. That will tell you right off the bat whether or not you like a jacket style, as most shops use those for pool sessions and cert dives. Personally, I hate a jacket style, and I think you'll find a lot of people here on SB agree. However, the folks here on these boards make up a minority when it comes to the average rec diver.

Thank you, it would be way in the future. I do believe in training in what you are going to use so that's where i'm unsure weather to go with jacket or back inflation.

Like @Outbound said...wait and try a jacket BC and a BP/W before you buy one or the other.

I did a try/discover dive in a regular BC. I then did my OW course with a tech. diver/instructor, who supplied a BP/W (HOG TBCS) for the course. I never went back to a regular BC.

One thing you’ll find when looking at public safety diver gear is that it closely resembles “technical” diving gear. I think a BP/W is going to be closer to what you want (equipment wise), but again...I’d try one before buying.

BCDs for Technical Diving.

I agree with @Outbound. See if the shop where you will be taking your open water class will allow you to try the different styles of BCDs. You should try each one both in the pool and at the open water sessions. This way you will have a good idea of what style fits your diving needs. On the search and rescue team topic, I have been a team leader for my fire departments dive team since its inception over 20 years ago. Obtaining funding for teams is not easy. With that being said, each of our members use their own equipment during training and operations. We finally received enough funding, 5 years of hard work, to purchase full face masks with underwater comms along with Hog BP/W. 3 complete setups that will be pre-rigged in our trailer. Check with the team you are interested in to see how they operate. You may be able to get started on the team as shore support then work your way up.

My personal choice is a back inflation with integrated weight pockets. Check with your school about integrated weights for training. They may not let you use them.
With the back inflation you don't get any kind of squeeze and integrated weights keep the load off your lower back.

Definitely check with the local Public Safety dive team to see what they're diving and then go from there. No offense but I wouldn't pay any attention to the recommendation of the ScubaPro Hydros if you're looking to do public safety diving. Not to say it's bad gear, as I know several people that dive it and love it. ScubaPro certainly makes excellent gear; the Hydros is just suited more toward recreational diving and less toward public safety work. You could check out the Zeagle Ranger line, as they make BC's geared for public safety diving. I know a few public safety divers myself and they actually use Zeagle gear, as well as BP/W rigs (a BP/W is a backplate--usually aluminum or stainless steel--and wing--which is the inflatable part that gives you lift) as opposed to the standard jacket style BC that inflates on the back and around the kidneys. I personally have dived a Zeagle Brigade for the last nearly 6 years and just recently switched to a Halcyon Infinity BP/W. At the shop I DM at, we offer our students both ScubaPro jackets and Halcyon BP/Ws to choose from to do their coursework in. So some of them get a bit spoiled from the word "Go"

I like the upright float on the surface the jacket gives. And that's it. I hate the belly squeeze. And since you should be spending most of your time not floating at the surface....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom