BCD replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andypilot101

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all. I have an oceanic chute 1 bcd that’s been fairly well used over the years. It is now starting to fall apart. Does anyone have a recommendation for a similar bcd that will possibly last me the next 25 years? Thanks 😊

I like this it’s very similar to the xdeep wing I have but I need a jacket to teach open water divers as well and demonstrating in a harness is not quite right.

I like this it’s very similar to the xdeep wing I have but I need a jacket to teach open water divers as well and demonstrating in a harness is not quite right.
It has an adjustable quick release harness, chest strap and waist strap with a weight belt buckle. You should not have any issues demonstrating remove & replace?

Why do you need a jacket to teach ow divers? Brief them properly on the surface and demo a skill with a rental bc. No need to have a jacket. Bpw doff and don is not much different. It is easier and more efficient than a floppy thing with excess buckles and clips. Or just get a "comfort harness " on a plate and wing and you'll have a 20 year bc. You might have to spend a few bucks at some point for a new wing or bladder. But much less than an entire bc.
The other option is get a used bc from ebay for 50 bucks and use it until it wears out. And from a conservation standpoint, you're keeping it out of a landfill. Plenty of poorly trained divers selling stuff cheap after finding out they are not prepared to dive.

Sorry, this is ScubaBoard and you are not allowed to prefer a jacket BCD -- all divers must dive BP/W (or failing that, at least back inflate BCDs). :)

My son has this one -- Sea Elite is Divers Supply's house brand for Edge/HOG products:

They were out of my size for the Scout so they sent the Edge Element, which I confirmed with Divers Supply is the same BCD with minor changes (used to be a few extra metal D-rings, extra clips on trim pockets, and the cam band - but cam band is now the same with both).

We've been diving these for years and they have been great. With the trim pockets there's no problem dialing in buoyancy/trim. My chapter of DiveHeart also uses these for adaptive divers also - it's a good BCD.

Pro tip: if you open a Divers Supply account and put this in your shopping cart and then leave without buying, you'll probably get an email coupon for extra $$ off within a day or so.

Back
Top Bottom