BCD question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me use the best knowledge that I've been consumed by reading...You wear 14 lbs lead. That should = 14 + 11 = 25 lbs of lead if you are wearing aluminum tank. I read somewhere steel tank is 11 lbs heavier than aluminum.

Oh goodness... this is why the old adage "measure twice, cut once" has existed for so long.

Be careful what you read. In my experience, a steel 85 and an aluminum 80 weigh about the same (i.e. if you have to carry one to the car or boat), but the aluminum tank is more buoyant because it displaces more water... i.e. the steel tank has a slightly slimmer profile.

The difference in profile means the aluminum tank displaces about 6 pounds more water than the steel tank... so the aluminum tank is about 6 pounds more buoyant. Which simply means that a given diver using the aluminum tank can shed 6 pounds of lead if they switch to using the steel tank.

Thanks everyone

rongoodman,
Sorry I have to ask, What is STA?

yle,
Now my wing search is up to at least 35lbs.
And it's 6lbs, not 11lbs different between aluminum and steel tanks at the same size. Thanks.
I wonder about bigger steel tank (100 or 120) vs aluminum tank 80? Does the number 11lbs fall into any of those? Not that I am ready to go with steel tank now. I am just curious.

Thinking about it after I posted my reply. That figure is if I use 7mm wetsuit. If I keep using 3mm in summer and 5mm in winter, then will you still suggest 35lbs lift, or would you say reduce it to less lift capacity?
Another way to ask is, can you tell proximate how much more/less weight people usually put in/out if 2mm thickness different of wetsuit being used?

Thanks again.

STA is a Single Tank Adapter... Made for plates with no cam band slots, or some like them to help stabilize the tank (it seems to be a near religious argument o. If they are needed). Rule of thumb I've heard for lead vs. Neoprene is approx 2 lb per mm of suit (i.e. a 3 mil fullsuit needing 6 lb over what you use in just a swimsuit).
For what you are doing 23 - 35 lb wing should be appropriate.
My advice is always worth what you paid for it! Lol

James

No worries... Also, to get someone's attention put the @ symbol before there user name, i.e. @rnln

So example these are the items I need. Can someone help analyzing to see if that is all I need? Good/bad, fit/don't fit, last/won't last?

I am borrowing the wing image from Aluminium. Hope you don't mind.
Deep Sea Supply Torus 35 Wing:
Imgur

back plate with hardness:
Storm Aluminum Backplate w/ Harness and Crotch Strap | Dolphin Scuba Center

Tank strap, $50
I know I need some weight pockets, not that expensive am I right?

Is that all I need for BCD?

Thanks.

put weight here, where it should be, pockets for free, no money

full.jpg

honestly, I can't see any thing :D. is it something looks like a piece of 2x4 wood on the backplate?

I believe happy-diver is referring to weight bolted to the plate (top left of the plate).

Yep, what you pointed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom