BCD problem -- no bad jokes, no sniggling, please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
WANTED: BCD with easily visible and reachable straps, buckles, D-rings. Also, wide-set shoulder straps, well-designed weight pockets and two easy-to-cinch tanks bands. Will be used primarily on vacations to Caribbean, etc.

MY PROBLEM: My bust. (Sigh.) I can't see over it to my waist. So I have to don my gear entirely by feel, which reduces my comfort level and my confidence.

I've been diving an Oceanic Isla for three years. It's a great BC -- for someone else. Mine fits well, as far as that goes. But I'm tired of fumbling with cumberbund, clasp and weight belt. And being unable to use *hidden* poorly located weight pockets, storage pockets and D-rings.

SUGGESTIONS? The relative merits of a back inflate vs. a backplate and wings? Makes and models?

TIA,

Judy

Judy if you take a look at a pic of someone wearing a backplate you will see that the shoulder straps do not come down over the chest but curve to run along the side of the chest as the go down. The only thing to fasten is the waist strap which is just like a weight belt buckle... it is passed through the loop of the crotch strap and then fastened. While a stainless steel plate might be too heavy for travel an aluminum plate should be just fine... coupled with a 27# wing that would make a great travel BC.

Judy,

The visibility issue is not one that I believe you'll be able to solve. Bottom line is some type of strap has to go around your waist.

for your help. it's much appreciated.

up, based on your advice, i checked halcyon's website, and will start looking for a LDS that carries BP/wing configurations.

:) scubaroo, before posting, i read half dozen to a dozen threads on BCDs, both in this forum and the bcd forum. i even i re-read *most* of the thread you refer to. (i hate it when posters don't do their homework.) but most posters discussed size, fit and comfort, rather than design.... i do remember someone describing a similar problem, but i don't think solutions were discussed. i couldn't find that particular post.

ah, walter, i have hope! last night i comparison tested a girlfriend's isla and her husband's dive-rite. his seemed INFINITELY better, for me at least. one connection only under the bust. but wide shoulder straps -- AND D-rings and (superior) weight pockets ON THE SIDES!

that means one adjustment under the bust, vs. the 4-5 i have now. woo-hoo! but i don't want to rush and buy a dive-rite if there's an even better option.

I would strongly suggest that you try the BP/Wing setup. As Up states, the straps do curve over the shoulder and then angle back to the rear of the waist, with a waist strap coming around. There is nothing over the chest whatsoever, especially not ay of those annoyinf straps that can cross the chest at the very, ummm, "delicate" area. I am guessing that you probobly have the classic "hourglass" hips, too (I do) and that a weight belt is often less than comfy (bruises on the hipbones, anyone?). In this case, you could look at the SS backplate to eliminate most (more likely all) of the weight for warm water diving, another alternative is a V weight. I would be happy to send you some pictures of the BP/Harness on myslef, if you haven't seen one on another woman before.

Good luck.

4 - 5 connections under the waist? What kind of BC do you have? Are you sure it's a BC and not a torture device?

I'm sure my BC is not best for your body type, but it has only 2 connections in the front, 1 at the waist (nylon webbing & buckle) and one useless connection at the chest that I've never used (quick release design).

DM...I also use a BP/wing. Upon first try, I hated them. The way the stiff webbing 'curved along the chest' also dug into my armpit! But I loved the minimalist feel of it. So I changed from the continuous one piece webbing to a Dive Rite Deluxe Q harness. It has a D-ring at just about arm pit level where the webbing from the shoulder meets the webbing going to the BP/waist. This D-ring make a pivot point of sorts to keep the webbing flat and out of your armpit. I also use a chest strap which I never have before but I like the secure feel of it...and I'm a chesty person myself.

For the same price, if not cheaper, of most BC's you'll have a truly custom fitted BC.

Here's a picture showing the D rings I mentioned.

Dee, if the harness was digging into your armpits, it was too tight. you should be able to insert 2 fingers between the straps and your body, this is approx 1-2" of "give". A properly fitted harness does not require either the rings or the chest strap.

Have you looked at the Zeagle Zena? No cumberbun, just a zipper in front and 2 sinches on each side. Fits -and kinda looks- like a corset. Alot of people are unsure about the zipper, but my buddy has one and uses it in cold water with a 7 mil, 2 pc wetsuit and swears by it. The other thing about the zeagles is that it's modular. If you need a little more room upstairs, have the shoulders from a larger size put on it-YES YOU CAN, DON"T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!-I do it all the time for people. Finally, it folds up into a small area for great traveling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom