BCD Inflator Hose Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA Diver:
Mel:

I do not know the final findings regarding the accident, but this sounds similar to the incident where the diver died at the Montage last year. Great job handling the situation.
Ahem,...Yes, the thought did cross my mind at the time of the incident. Especially considering that I turned age 51 the week before which was the age of the diver involved.

and bit of sand in the connector by the bearings can mess things up, see that frequently on my air compressor in the shop (not scuba compressor but regular household compressor for air tools)

This is why you are taught to oral inflate your BCD, and remove and replace your LP hose, during your OW course. Either one should be a no-brainer, and result in an annoyance rather than an incident or worst, and accident.

Good job of keeping your head screwed on straight and solving the “annoyance”, and thanks for sharing it.

On a side note, I encourage my AOW students to do a few dives in familiar waters using only oral inflation of the BCD. I tell them that it will show just how much most divers typically over use the inflator button, even when their weight and trim are correct.

As part of my buddy check, I always (always) use the inflator hose to inflate the BCD, deflate the BCD, and then because I am a cheap arse with air I manually reinflate the BCD.

Good points all.

Back
Top Bottom