BCD Inflator Hose Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is a minor event, but one worth thinking about.

On a dive last Thursday, I assembled my equipment as usual. I connected my BCD pressure inflator hose as usual and remember pulling on it to ensure it was locked in place as is my normal practice.

Entered the water and after donning my fins hit the inflator button, but did not hear the normal rush of air. Not a big problem as I was still on the surface and could always manually add air.

In investigating the inflator, I discovered my inflator hose had become disconnected. Don't ask me how as I was certain it was connected and I do well remember pulling on it to make sure it was locked in place. But there it was disconnected all the same.

I made 3 attempts to reconnect the hose with out success. With the air on, I just could not get it on against the pressure far enough to lock in place. I was starting to sink a bit, so I decided to push the hose together as firmly as I could and to then hit the inflator button. Inflator hose functioned and added air to the BC and popped right on as it should have.

Lesson learned:
1. Double check the inflator hose connection at set-up by pullin on it and pressing the inflation button. (I still swear I pulled on it, but did not press the inflator button.)
2. If you have the air on and are in the water and need to reconnect for what ever reason the BCD inflator hose, and are having trouble fighting the pressure in the hose, just push it together as firmly as possible and push the inflator button to relieve the pressure and allow the hose to lock into place.

You should also make sure that the quickrelease isn't sticking. I had a case where I thought the LPI hose was on correctly, but upon looking more closely, I could see that the outer knurled sleeve hadn't seated fully, even those the hose was all the way on, and the ball bearings were in the slot.

That might be what happened to you.

A drop or two of silicone spray got everything running smoothly again.

That is a good technique (relieving the pressure momentarily) for me to remember. But you should be able reattach a low-pressure quick-release even under pressure. It must be sticking.

My best dive buddy, my wife, and I make it a practice to do an equipment check after we get into the water, especially on a boat dive wherein the impact from the entry may possibly jar something loose.

Doesn't take long and adds a little bit of safety before descending.

pasley:
2. If you have the air on and are in the water and need to reconnect for what ever reason the BCD inflator hose, and are having trouble fighting the pressure in the hose, just push it together as firmly as possible and push the inflator button to relieve the pressure and allow the hose to lock into place.

Thanks for the tip!

Good Tip! Also a good reason to practice manually adding air. Ive seen divers in a near panic because their hose came off at depth(probably never on). I normally add air manually just to practice.

Inflator hose connections and their skimpy valves concern me somewhat. From my experience, most of them have plastic housings with bicycle-type valves. I own an Oxycheq and there are more stainless parts than most on the market (except halcyon which had a recall). And it has a great big 1/2 knurled sleeve to do what its supposed to do - get gripped. I hope the industry pays more attention to this valve setup in the future.

Hmmm, My rig is a DACOR BCD and a Mares Regulator. The inflator hose does have a nice sized knurled stainless steel sleeve and the external housing for the valve plastic with metal parts inside. But that really was not a factor here. It was just a case of me pushing the hose on and it not locking into place. It could be sticking. When I got the rig out of the car, I set it down on the mat and the inflator hose flopped over into the dirt. This concerned me and I tapped it to disloge any dirt that may have gotten indide. Perhaps a gain or two remained inside the assembly and I did not see it in the dark.

I am going to check the hose attachment for sticking and plan to hit it with a spray of silicone as I have not done that in a month or two.

Bottome line, and my reason for sharing, take nothing for granted, double and tripple check everything and remember, there are often alternatives. I was surprised that the push it together and push the button thing allowed me to lock it in place. But it is a neat trick to try if the need ever arises again.

I think the locking ring inside the collar is pulled apart when you move the collar back. Did you check it for wear? My Dacor RigII inflator connection was the fist thing to go. I got rid of it. Hopefully you have better luck with dacor than did. A good lesson indeed. Mine hit the find sand in michigan and stuck open after the dive. Stripped that thing all the way down and cleaned it. Really like the mares though.

pasley:
Hmmm, My rig is a DACOR BCD and a Mares Regulator. The inflator hose does have a nice sized knurled stainless steel sleeve and the external housing for the valve plastic with metal parts inside. But that really was not a factor here. It was just a case of me pushing the hose on and it not locking into place. It could be sticking. When I got the rig out of the car, I set it down on the mat and the inflator hose flopped over into the dirt. This concerned me and I tapped it to disloge any dirt that may have gotten indide. Perhaps a gain or two remained inside the assembly and I did not see it in the dark.

I am going to check the hose attachment for sticking and plan to hit it with a spray of silicone as I have not done that in a month or two.

Bottome line, and my reason for sharing, take nothing for granted, double and tripple check everything and remember, there are often alternatives. I was surprised that the push it together and push the button thing allowed me to lock it in place. But it is a neat trick to try if the need ever arises again.

Mel:

I do not know the final findings regarding the accident, but this sounds similar to the incident where the diver died at the Montage last year. Great job handling the situation.

Back
Top Bottom