BCD Choice for PSDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChainSaw0069

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a preference in the PSD field for what BCD to use or not use? I know alot of teams are on a tight low or no budget and get what they can get. Is one BCD better than another? Are there many or any BCDs that are adjustable for a smaller size to a larger size?

Well, getting the wrong cheap BC's can be very expensive in the long run. We use Zeagle Tech's and Rangers. Not cheap but last a very long time. We just retired one with over 20 years of service and it's still good. Mid range sizes fit a lot of people. The big sizes will fit a pregnant elephant with twins.

Gary D.

our team members, being all volunteer, supply their own equipment so we have a variety of bc's in use but gradually people are following the trend of back plate and wing setups as they offer the best in modularity and dependability.

otherwise I would say I see several zeagles and scubapros in use as well as some older brands for which I have no idea of identity.

If our team was getting them supplied I would likely push very hard to get a back plate and wing with HOG harness or I would supply my own like I do now.

T

I have to back up the Zeagle series BCDs (ranger, etc., with the heavy denier).

I've yet to see one fail, and Zeagle took care of things you'd never expect the manufacturer to do, like seems on an old one (old!) that had pulled out and frayed.

And to change sizes for larger waists, the cummerbund straps swap out in minutes, allowing a few pair of extra straps to allow almost any BCD to fit almost any diver. For community BCDs they are an excellent choice, IMHO.

And no, I am not affiliated with Zeagle. I sold my Zeagle BCD to a friend for a song when his gear was stolen, when I had close to 650 dives on it. Last I heard, it's still going strong.

Best of luck.

We also use backplate & wing setups.

Works well for us and many of our folks do cave & tech and like to use the same setup all the time.

Sizing isn't an issue- just loosen or tighten the straps to adjust.

We use all scuba-pro gear except for masks and thats aga. We have some old orange s/p BC that are still in service. We use them for pool training and such.
grumpie.....

We used the Zeagle 911's for a number of years. We had issues with the softer back part as we use a 30 cu ft pony bottle attached to our main tank. The off-center weight on a soft back caused the tanks to lay over. Coupled with the fact that we use a Kirby Morgan block mounted on the BC for the bailout, the Zeagle did not have the best options for mounting it. We switched to backplates with wings five or six years ago and seem to work much better for us.

Having said that.., if I decide to do a single tank recreational/shallow-water dive, I'll still throw on my Zeagle. (and I currently have five different types of BC's to choose from)

We used the Zeagle 911's for a number of years. We had issues with the softer back part as we use a 30 cu ft pony bottle attached to our main tank. The off-center weight on a soft back caused the tanks to lay over. Coupled with the fact that we use a Kirby Morgan block mounted on the BC for the bailout, the Zeagle did not have the best options for mounting it. We switched to backplates with wings five or six years ago and seem to work much better for us.

Having said that.., if I decide to do a single tank recreational/shallow-water dive, I'll still throw on my Zeagle. (and I currently have five different types of BC's to choose from)

oops..., there's an echo in here (heh-heh)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom