Bcd bladder lift capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So guys and gal I am jumping into the world of backplate and wings. I already know what brand and general setup I’m going to buy, but I’m getting conflicting advice from fellow diver and dive shops on what bladder capacity to go with. It’s between a 30 or 40 pound lift capacity.
Some info about me:
Weight is 150-155 lbs average body build depending on the scale I use, I live in south Florida so all ill ever need is 3mm wetsuit but I don’t always use depending on time of year and depth I’m diving to. I use faber steel hp 100 which has a 8.5 lbs negative weight in the water when full. I do use a GoPro camera tray/ rig which probably weighs 3 lbs max out of water. I also do have a little scooter/dpv that weighs just under 5lbs out of water. (I am considering getting a dive xtras blacktip travel in the near future, but that scooter is say to be slightly positively buoyant)
Currently with a 3mm wetsuit and steel 100 with basic recreational bcd i use 4lbs of weight ( may not even need any weight but I haven’t really had the opportunity to remove all weight and see if i can go down)
With an aluminum 80 i have to use 8lbs.

I am considering getting the 30lb bladder.
But if any of y’all disagree please advice on the reasoning.

I would recommend determining how much buoyancy you need to float your kit when you aren’t wearing it. Use that as a bare minimum. From there go up in wing size as much as you are comfortable won’t cause a lot of drag in the water. 150lbs is relatively small body size and sounds like you’re less than 15lbs negative kit. I would agree 30lb wing is likely enough as long as you don’t plan for a lot colder water which would necessitate a lot more lead.

if you want a real answer, look here: Optimal Buoyancy Computer

in a 3 mm, using single tanks, I really doubt you'll ever even come close to requiring 30 lbs of lift. I use a 30 lbs wing with a (albeit smaller) steel tank and a drysuit. Never had any issues.

A 30-lbs wing should be more than enough, and probably the perfect size for most divers. If you need to lift more for some reason, like retrieving a heavy object, then I would advocate using a lift-bag. Not to lift you (although they can work for that in an emergency), but rather for lifting the other heavy object.

The problem with wings that are larger is that (1) they create more drag and (2) they're usually more difficult to dump air from.

Here's my set up for reference for what it's worth. I weigh 185lbs. Also depending on the style of the wing if its to big it will wrap the cylinder and make it dificult to get the air out and you have more drag.
8mm wetsuit, steel plate and 10-12 lbs. of lead depending on cylinder. 30lbs wing and it is plenty of lift.
3mm wetsuit, Aluminum plate and 4-6 lbs. of lead depending on cylinder. 30lbs wing is overkill and considering getting a small wing.
If i was only diving warm water I would definitely get a smaller wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom