BCD Advice Saught

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My fins are Mares, my regulator is the R2 Axis....the BCs I used for certification were usually Mares. Now I gotta buy a BC...and I only have experience with one brand...so I need your advice.

I am female and not petite by any means (even a wetsuit two sizes too small won't ever make me flat-chested).

I THINK I want a back inflation BC for the above stated anatomy.

I want comfort and easy to reach pockets and realiabilty.

I might want some sort of integrated weight pockets IF they 1. can use standard weights from the dive shops 'cause I don't want to pack weights in my luggage.
2. Are not infamous for having weights fall out of pockets.

In addition it would be nice to have a BCD that is easy to pack 'cause ALL of my diving must happen away from home.

I would like something with a dash of color because all the rest of my equipment is basic black and I can be hard to spot underwater.

Any comments, recommendations and info greatfully recieved.

:confused:

Hi,

Zeagle has several models that meet most of your criteria. The harnesses are custom so you can pick a size that fits you. The intergrated weights don't give any problem (the Rip Cord system)with any weights as long as you use the optional weight bags, about $12 each. You put any kind of weight into the bag and the bag into the BC. I have a Ranger and the biggest drawback I find is the size/weight. It's fairly heavy as BC's go and takes up a lot of room in my suitcase. The Concept or the Escape may be closer to what you are looking for. As to the easy to reach pockets, I have yet to see a BC that has truly easy to reach pockets (with it on and a reg in your mouth).

My future wife bought her first BC last month. She tried the Zeagles (escape,ranger) shoulder straps hit her wrong (she has wide shoulders), she tried the Scubapro Ladyhawk (same thing with the shoulders).

She bought the Seaquest Diva LX. Jacket and back inflated. She did purchase the all black Diva, but they do make one with "purple" if you needed the color.

TRY THEM ALL ON, and repeat, TRY THEM ALL ON. Then go back and TRY THEM AGAIN. Then decide.

Good Luck on your purchase.

waterdogs.

By the way, she tried her new BC two weeks ago and loved it. Boy was i glad.

Hi Cougar,
I use a Tusa liberator its okay, though I think you may be better off with a wing. The stab jacket has shoulder clips that can unclip if overstressed, so the continuous one piece webbing and a back pack with a wing is probably a better option, it is expensive, but more versatile, for singles or twins, which is worth it, if you dive regularly. I find the pockets on many stab jackets are inaccessable. A lot of manufactures are making weight integrated stab jackets. I dive cold water with a dry suit so carry a lot of weight and find an integrated set harder to move around on the surface, but then I do a lot of shore dives. I find a harness shot weight belt far more comfortable than solid weights. You said you could travel and mentioned Thailand, I am told the prices of equipment in places like Singapore are generally better. Enjoy your diving, and check out a few of the reports on sites like Rodale or diver magazine

Sounds like you and Dee might have some commonality in physical charateristics. She will be a good resource into that will work for women of your shape. So if she doesn't chime in soon, seek her out.

(BTW, I moved this thread to the BC forum for ya)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom