BC/Wing Plate vs. Jacket-style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jocasseegirl:
I'm a new diver - doing some research on BC's. I learned to dive with a jacket BCD, but I've heard of "wings and plates." Can someone please educate me on the difference, other than the fact that one is primarily just on your back? Can you wear double tanks with a jacket BC? Several of my friends wear the OMS BC with bands, but I haven't gotten a chance to question them about it. Thanks for your advice!

This BC is doubles ready but more importantly, it allows the diver to adjust the BC configuration to their taste (you can add/remove/move accessories and weight pockets where you want them). Also for the traveling diver they pack almost flat which can be huge when you go to those remote locations plus everything is streamlined so there is very little to get in your way. Check out www.diverite.com for more info. As for Zeagle, don't waste your money, good idea, bad design. If you do have your heart set on a Backplate and Wing, take a look at the Halcyon Eclipse which is doubles/singles ready too. www.halcyon.net

Jackets versus wings. There are trade offs. DiverNet reported that the many wings that they tested did tend to PUSH the divers head FORWARD when hanging at the surface. Other than that, Jim Grier, the well known researcher from a mid western university documented lower drag with wings, say 0.1-.2 mph (no matter how it sounds, that's a lot). He believes that the problem with jackets may be due to billowy fabric behind the neck. I think pockets are partly to blame. My personal preference is toward the Seaquest Dimension 3, a back inflate, minimalist design. Now out of production.

pescador775:
Jackets versus wings. There are trade offs. DiverNet reported that the many wings that they tested did tend to PUSH the divers head FORWARD when hanging at the surface. Other than that, Jim Grier, the well known researcher from a mid western university documented lower drag with wings, say 0.1-.2 mph (no matter how it sounds, that's a lot). He believes that the problem with jackets may be due to billowy fabric behind the neck. I think pockets are partly to blame. My personal preference is toward the Seaquest Dimension 3, a back inflate, minimalist design. Now out of production.

I don't know the "DiverNet" report, but here's my experience, having fitted many, many people into BP&W, many first time users.

If the diver is properly weighted, i.e. eyelevel at the surface with no gas in the wing, very very little gas is necessary to raise you chin out of the water, really just a small bubble behind the head. No way this bubble behind the head can force you forward.

If you are overweighed and need to fill the wing to it's limits, you can then produce a face forward moment.

Second thing is the correct use of a crotch strap. If you do not use a crotch strap, and add gas to the wing the rig will rise, but you will not. This leads to more gas in the wing, and before long the rig is over the divers head.

With a crotch strap the rig and the diver rise, again reducing the amount of air necessary for the diver to be comfortable at the surface.

Tobin

I made the switch to bp/w after trying a Zeagle Ranger for one year after diving a STAB jacket for about 12 years. I have been diving the bp/w for a couple of months and I am very excited. Modularity for diving single with STA or doubles and the clean uncluttered harness are the features I appreciate most.

I like the Zeagle Ranger, but it is more cluttered and more expensive, but it does have lot's of storage space (pockets). I also prefer donuts, and the Zeagle is a wing (not a donut). It works good for doubles though, and the double bottom dumps are convenient (my diverite wing only has one dump). I prefer a hard back (Zeagle is soft) and to have the wing seperate from the harness (i.e. on 11" centers). That make switching bladders easier.

With regards to floating face down on the surface being touchy to deal with: not touchy at all, if you are floating face down at the surface you are diving with too much weight. The fact that you are floating face down is just another good indicator for need to trim weight. Take some off, it will improve the dive. I also prefer keeping my bp in place with a crotch strap: it will move around otherwise (unless you get it really tight, which is not better imo).

I dive a stainless plate without a weight belt in fresh water on some of my dives (2/3mm full wet suit). An aluminum plate would be nice for diving without a wet suit and no weight belt, and I'll be picking one up soon. My son dives an aluminum plate and he is also excited about the lack of clutter compared to the rental BC (jacket style) he used during OW certification. It will also grow with him by simply replacing the webbing with longer webbing (he is 12yo, 80lbs, and less than 5' tall, same rig (with longer webbing) fits me at 160lbs and 5'10").

Rick

Have you looked at flat plate setups for singles? http://www.jetharness.com/

They have addressed the problem of the extra offset with one tank on a plate designed for two.

I'm thinking about this because I only dive singles but I like the simplicity of bp+harness.

Pete

DiveGolfSki:
Nicely explained herman. One benefit of a BP/Wing is the modularity of the system which leads to more flexibility and yields addtional benefits like:

3. If the bladder punctures, a back inflate requires replacement of the entire.

Actually, I have a Zeagle Brigade and it has a replacable bladder. I think the Ranger probably does also.

Rick Inman:
Hot pink webbing. You don't know how tempted I am to thread some of this onto my BP for my upcoming DIRF class next month! :D

I am digging the Hot Pink -- but it doesn't come in 2" :((

Kimber

offroaddiver:
Wouldn't wearing neon colors help out? Since the general idea for dir is that your buddy knows where everything is on your equipment and vice versa....neon colors would help make a harnes more visible. It really easy to find people underwater when they wear yellow and green....but since red light is difused in around 30 feet of water wouldn't hot pink disappear?

I can tell you for a fact - hot pink does not disappear at depth. As a girl with hot "Barbie" pink nails and a matching spool and backplate -- you can see it all very well -- way past 30'. (-;

I don't wear gloves usually and it has been commented on more than once how brightly my nails glow underwater.

Kimber

TekDiveGirl:
I can tell you for a fact - hot pink does not disappear at depth...
It would if you'd ever take the light off your nails.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom