BC Type for photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlada, thanks for the info. Looks like the jacket may be out...

Do what is comfortable for you. Nothing says you have to remain in a horizontal position, either kicking around or taking a pic. In general u/w photographers don't spend a lot of time cruising at speed. We usually have out heads in the reef looking for goodies. I tend to spend a lot of my time near vertical or at 30-45 deg angle, going horizontal when needed. I like diving walls & dropoffs, so horizontal doesn't work very well. An upward body angle is a lot less strain on my neck as was mentioned when looking forward or upward.

Well, I have used both a jacket (cressi and seaquest) and a back inflate (zeagle) and I have been using the latter for the last 8years. In terms of comfort and lack of clutter, the back-inflate or wings is ideal. And I can get vertical underwater with the wings (sometimes when i don't want to!) :wink:

bubble blower:
I guess my main concern is this...if I want to be vertical while at depth (not while swimming but to take a photo) will a back inflate or transpac allow me to do this with out to much work to stay in that position? Ultimately, I'll probably look into what justleesa suggested and look into trying a back inflate first.

I also have a neck problem, a pinched nerve that makes looking forward while horizontal a pain...literally. There's no rule that you have to be horizontal at any time, I seldom am because of my neck. The main point of it is to keep your fins and fin wash away from the bottom or whatever is undeath you.

I started out in a jacket BC and quickly replaced it with a back inflate Zeagle Concept. About 2 years ago I moved to a BP/wing for the comfort of it. It doesn't 'perform' any better than the Zeagle did as far as photography goes but my balance is better.

As jc said, use what's comfortable to YOU. If you can, try different styles of BC's in the water, find what feels good to you. Seems we're always loaning out one of the BP/wings for someont to try out, maybe you can find someone to do the same thing.

Rick has laid out a great explanation. I am a warm water diver and use a single aluminum 80 all the time. I have used a backlift BCD for years. I currently use a Seaquest Dimension (discontinued). I don't keep up with the replacement names. I love backlift BCD's. My only complaint with it is that it rides up on me. It has only the Velcro cummerbund.
Many times I have thought of rigging a crotch harness to it or getting a setup that has one.

I've been using a back inflate without any problems. It's not like you can't stand upright in a back inflate BC, I do it all the time. I'm usually almost vertical when I take photos on a wall reef. I have a Dive Rite I like quite a bit, it has the crotch strap which is nice at the surface. Last night a Mares rep came to our dive club meeting and showed us a new model that's mostly a back inflate but also inflates on the bottom near the weight pockets, that might be cool. I'd rent a back inflate BC for a few dives and see how you like it.

Gilligan:
Rick has laid out a great explanation. I am a warm water diver and use a single aluminum 80 all the time. I have used a backlift BCD for years. I currently use a Seaquest Dimension (discontinued). I don't keep up with the replacement names. I love backlift BCD's. My only complaint with it is that it rides up on me. It has only the Velcro cummerbund.
Many times I have thought of rigging a crotch harness to it or getting a setup that has one.
Fit a crotch strap!! I use the TranspacII with the travel wings and I love it. I had the same problem with it riding up at first - but I got the crotch strap and now it's fine.

It's funny....My BP/wing, which came with a crotch strap, doesn't ride up at all with out it. Yet every other BC I've ever used, which never came with a crotch strap, always rose to my ears on the surface.

Yep...add one, you enjoy it!

jcclink:
Do what is comfortable for you.

What's really important is that you get what's comfortable for me. What works for me is the full on wrap around air cell of the mighty ScubaPro classic plus. If you get anything less, there's a good chance that I won't ask to borrow it if I forget or lose mine. Be sure to get it with an Air2, and I wear a large. I can give you some tips on how to make a large work for you too if that doesn't happen to be your size.

28.gif

Okay, all this talk about BCD's has motivated me to "Captain Gadget" a crotch strap to my old Seaquest Dimension.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom