BC Mystery Holes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Treculi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was checking an Oceanic BC I have not used for a while for leaks and discovered a few around straps that secure the waist belt. I thought they where from stressed seams but I discovered small round holes under four straps all in about the same location under the straps. They look like small moth holes about 1/32” in diameter. They are not tears or in the stitching and do not appear to have been​ caused by chaffing.

Has anyone run into something like this?

Nope... dabs of aquaseal over each hole...

I really like AquaSeal other than the dry time and the mess it can make if you're not careful.

Question is, what caused the holes and how do you prevent more of them? Was it moths? Or, did you get something acid splattered on the BC somehow?

Question is, what caused the holes and how do you prevent more of them? Was it moths? Or, did you get something acid splattered on the BC somehow?

Here are a couple of photos. All the holes are underneath the belt loops at various points next to the stitching but not in the stitching. I found a couple more after I put on a stronger pair of glasses and a flashlight to see better. The one in the photos was near the edge and was easy to spot. There were also little bits of debris I could not ID. It was not sand it looked more like chewed nylon. Do moths chew nylon? There are no other holes any where except under the belt loops.

IMG_2858.jpgIMG_2859.jpg

It appears to be abrading from where the belt passes through that loop. That's where the most friction is going to occur from a belt being pulled back and forth through the loop, since they are at the stitching the loop is going to hold the belt right up against the fabric, so the belt will essential "sand" the fabric down. Are all the other holes similarly situated? Are the holes in something that holds air, or just an outer/wing fabric?

Last edited:
I was checking an Oceanic BC I have not used for a while for leaks and discovered a few around straps that secure the waist belt. I thought they where from stressed seams but I discovered small round holes under four straps all in about the same location under the straps. They look like small moth holes about 1/32” in diameter. They are not tears or in the stitching and do not appear to have been​ caused by chaffing.

Has anyone run into something like this?

Are you sure they are leaks? If there are layers or padding involved they could be vent holes to let trapped air escape during the dive. The holes you describe sound suspiciously intentional. I know My wife's old DIVA LX would bubble like a mother lode of alka seltzer in the rinse tub. The bladders were perfect, the crap was just getting saturated.

Pete

I think RJP is right that they are abrasion holes. The holes are all underneath the loop in approximately the same locations. They are hard to find because they are right up against the stitching which would also points to abrading being the cause. By the way moths or I should say their larvae do not feed on nylon. They may ingest if it is mixed with wool.

The BC is a bladderless BC made out of heavy nylon. There is some type backing on the inside to make the nylon airtight. My latest guess is that the belt abraded the nylon exposing the backing. The backing has deteriorated over time and when inflated it started leaking at the abrasion points. I am chasing down the last ones. When I have them all sealed I plan on putting another bead of AquaSeal the length of all the loop ends. There will still be plenty of room for the belt.

I think RJP is right that they are abrasion holes. The holes are all underneath the loop in approximately the same locations. They are hard to find because they are right up against the stitching which would also points to abrading being the cause. By the way moths or I should say their larvae do not feed on nylon. They may ingest if it is mixed with wool.

The BC is a bladderless BC made out of heavy nylon. There is some type backing on the inside to make the nylon airtight. My latest guess is that the belt abraded the nylon exposing the backing. The backing has deteriorated over time and when inflated it started leaking at the abrasion points. I am chasing down the last ones. When I have them all sealed I plan on putting another bead of AquaSeal the length of all the loop ends. There will still be plenty of room for the belt.

Time for a new one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom