BC manufacturers must be Raking it in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PvtStash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello hello, new to scuba and a Huge fan of these boards; unquestionably the Best rescource a diver can have at his/her disposal!

Ok so I'm looking over potential gear I have to buy and I cant help but say "***"on BCD's... 400... 500... 600 dollars or more usually...

unconscionable... Highwayfreakin'Robbery.

This is an inflatable bag with webbing that attaches to your back...

you cannot convince me that these Cost even $100 to make, in fact its probably Alot less than that... there's no "space age" tech here... design virtually unchanged in 30 years...

A clear-cut, text-book example of "Why do they charge so much?", "Because they can."

I hope ScubaL 's BC starts swaying people... Much more reasonably priced... Mnf. need to realize maybe they Dont need 5000% profit on that "inflatable backpack"...

I think that's one reason (of many) that a lot of us dive backplate and wings. They are generally less expensive than BC's and do a better job. As far as the pricing goes, I think this is a case of supply and demand. People will pay it, so they charge it.

HUGE MARKUP... no doubt about it. But, if you don't like it don't dive! All of the other gear has huge markups as well so don't just pick on BC mfgs.

Scott

HUGE MARKUP... no doubt about it. But, if you don't like it don't dive! All of the other gear has huge markups as well so don't just pick on BC mfgs.

Scott

Oh yeah, no question thats true... I just thought that the BC was the Hugest violator, the one with the most disproportionate price/complexity ratio...

That's what I like about the BP/Wing. For my recreational rig I can just replace the wing for $200-$300 versus a whole new BCD when it wears out.

Hello hello, new to scuba and a Huge fan of these boards; unquestionably the Best rescource a diver can have at his/her disposal!

Ok so I'm looking over potential gear I have to buy and I cant help but say "***"on BCD's... 400... 500... 600 dollars or more usually...

unconscionable... Highwayfreakin'Robbery.

This is an inflatable bag with webbing that attaches to your back...

you cannot convince me that these Cost even $100 to make, in fact its probably Alot less than that... there's no "space age" tech here... design virtually unchanged in 30 years...

A clear-cut, text-book example of "Why do they charge so much?", "Because they can."

I hope ScubaL 's BC starts swaying people... Much more reasonably priced... Mnf. need to realize maybe they Dont need 5000% profit on that "inflatable backpack"...

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it highway robbery. I you ACTUALLY get robbed just once, you will instantly understand the difference.

I think I can go out on a limb and say that NO ONE in the scuba industry is making money hand over foot. Unfortunately, because of the small size of this industry, most scuba companies get no "economy of scale" when they have equipment built. In addition, most scuba manufacturers do not make their buoyancy vests. LOTS of people are in the pipeline between manufacturing and resale. Each of them makes a little. In the aggregate, it may well be a big profit margin. When you look at each individual part of the distribution/resale process, no individual company is making as much margin on their products as MOST manufacturers of other consumer goods.

This is one instance where GROWTH in the number of participants for scuba diving is so important. Without growth in the industry, we will not likely see lower prices and innovative products at the local scuba store.

You can price protect yourself somewhat by purchasing from a scuba merchant that has a slightly different business model, one that doesn't depend on large margins at resale. Unfortunately for many divers, all of these merchants are online e-commerce merchants.

Phil Ellis

People are always upgrading on SB. Check out the "for sale" forum. I was looking at a SP Knight Hawk for $650. I got one here on SB for $200 with 70 dives on it. Now, I dive a BP/W. Wish I would have gone with it from the beginning. Check your local dive clubs, too. Absolutely no reason to buy new.

Dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom