bc inflator/octo?? Scubapro air 2???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it works like a normal regulator and exhales out the rg,not in the bc

*MOD POST* These 2 threads have been merged

haha ok thanks guys...I hear they are pretty good so I'm gonna invest in one. Besides the second set of gear I'm hooking up... on my first stage has 1 hp port and 2 lp ports, this means I can use it and still have an aux. air source.

Meng_Tze:
I cant speak for 'how ikt works', but think about it......

Do you really want to have your backup reg incorporated into your inflator and why? I know there are quite a few variations on this out there.

Questions that come to my mind....
What if the the inflator does not 'perform well' (is stuck, blows an o-ring, has dirt in it etc, etc).... will it have an effect on your ability to breathe off your backup (octo)? How would you share gas with your buddy....... He/she would have to be VERY close to you to be able to breathe off the short inflator hose..........you could get entangled.

I am not saying you should not, but I would suggest to think about what purpose it serves and how it would work in a real emergency.
Although the regulator and power inflator are integrated into the same housing, they have separate controls and really function separately. I use one for teaching and personal use and can attest to how well it works in a real emergency, which is quite well.

hugedodge2000:
I mean like when you exhale you have to be deflating at the same time so it wont fill your bc???
As I said a little earlier in response to another poster, the regulator and power inflator are in the same housing, but function separately. You can inflate the BC and deflate the BC while you are breathing off the AIR2. When you are breathing off your primary and using the AIR2 strictly as a power inflator and dump air from the BC, it exhausts through the mouthpiece. But there is also an exhaust valve on the opposite side of the housing from the control buttons. While breathing from the AIR2, you can vent the BC by pushing the manual control button (the big rectangular one) halfway down and the air vents through the exhaust. As an alternative, use the right should dump valve.

By the way, sooner or later, a DIR or other Hogarthian rig advocate will show up and tell you that an AIR2 is a deathtrap. If you are diving overhead environments or engaged in other forms of technical diving, an AIR2 is not an appropriate equipment choice. But for standard recreational diving, it is a good alternative.

I have a regular setup already, but I have all this extra equipment and wanted to set up a new rig as a backup and I noticed the 1st stage was short some ports and I was looking at the alternatives I have and this looks like the way to go.

hugedodge2000:
I have a regular setup already, but I have all this extra equipment and wanted to set up a new rig as a backup and I noticed the 1st stage was short some ports and I was looking at the alternatives I have and this looks like the way to go.

That first stage sounds like it may be a little dated if all it has are 2 LP ports. Even the low end regs have 4 now. Should work fine if properly serviced, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom