BC inflator/backup reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking at getting a sherwood gemini backup reg that attaches to the BC inflator and was wondering if anyone has ever used this type. I also wondered if anyone had this type of setup on their BC and if they liked it? I know most BC manufacturers have this option and wondered if most people like it or not. I'm looking at buying one for my Sherwood Avid and didn't know if it was worth it.

About a year ago I switched my travel rig (a BP/W) to the Gemini......

I really like it, I have it on a longer 22 inch corrugated inflator hose and use a Milflex LP hose with it...this makes it easy to use and move my head side to side when I am breathing on it....

I also have a Milflex hose on my primary......

I have switched to it for testing at 120 feet and it breathes very well....also practice controlling your ascent rate and buoyancy while breathing on the Gemini....

Many on SB are not fans of integrated octo/inflators.....but it works for me.....

Hope this helps......M

I know most BC manufacturers have this option and wondered if most people like it or not.

Plenty of people dive with this type of set up and and love them. Horses for courses.

I used to dive with one, and don't any more. Personally, I think a combo octo/inflator is like one of those little donut-sized spare tires:

They both seem like a really great idea...

rspring1.jpg

...right up until the point that you need to actually use one for its intended purpose.

3396396247_cb3551ba39.jpg

:shocked2:

I used an Air2 for years since I do a lot of solo diving, but about a year ago switched to the bungeed backup and long hose and like this method much better.

I use a combo octo/inflator on my rig along with my primary and secondary. My reasoning goes like this, I deep solo dive almost all the time, I need to have an inflator, so I'll take on that has multi uses. I my mind this gives me the most choices and the best chance to make it back alive. To that end I also carry a pony with it's own reg.

dw

I'm just trying to decide what to spend my money on. I have a chance to get a really good deal on a octo/inflator brand new and was wondering what direction I should go.

What are the downsides besides using that as ypur primary when you share air? Are they just poorly made or something?

What are the downsides besides using that as ypur primary when you share air? Are they just poorly made or something?

Using it as BOTH the regulator you're breathing off AND the LPI you're inflating/deflating your BCD with AT THE SAME TIME.

Several/most of them are very well made and breathe quite nicely. Any of them work well during a training drill where an instructor says "OK, we're going to go down and I'll signal OOA..."

I had the opportunity to have someone give me an OOA without warning (it was a drill actually, but ) while I was diving an Air2 and it was a complete Charlie-Foxtrot. In the real world you need to really deal with where the other diver really is, how they are really behaving, what depth you are really at, what they really want to do, where you really need to go next... a lot different than ascending from the bottom of a pool or a platform in a quarry.

Last edited:
The downside is that if for some reason you have to disconnect your LP hose (stuck inflater button, etc.), you've now disconnected your back-up.

Whether or not they are poorly made depends on the manufacturer. Some work and breath as well as many high-end 2nd's. As long as you put the same effort into deciding which one to buy that you would put in to your primary, you'll get the same quality.

But, to be blunt. Whether or not to use one isn't a choice that the board can help you make. You really need to go out and try one and learn how it's used. It will either make sense to you and feel comfortable, or it won't. I'd hate for you to spend money on something, only to find out you prefer a different back-up method. If you do decide you like the way an emergency is handled with one, then ask the board's advice about which ones are good, or if you have a particular one in mind, how good it is.

Back
Top Bottom