BC for the first 100 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdallen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For the newly certified diver (or thereabouts) who'd really like to have their own equipment, what are some great BCs that will:
  • Be consistent with what the diver was exposed to in most diver training programs
  • Be a reasonably good value
  • Take the diver through the learning experience of their first 100 dives (just an arbitrary number)
I'm of the opinion that the new diver will learn a lot over their first several dozen dives, and it will shape their opinion of what they want in the future. Many folks would like to start by selecting the perfect BC at the outset but I'm not sure you can skip the learning phase - sometimes you just need to try it and see what works for you.

So what are some good BCs and Travel BCs that will "just work"?

1. doesn't matter, they all inflate and deflate and strap to your back. That's all that matters. Consistent with what you're trained with is irrelevant
2. depends on what you value
3. no reason you can't purchase with the end in mind. While you may need to change it if you go to a different style of diving *doubles, sidemount, rebreather*, there is no reason that the style of bc you purchase or a significant amount of components can't be used. If you don't change style, there is no reason that the bc you purchase can't last thousands of dives.

There are probably thousands of threads on this forum with this question and the answers on this site are very predictable, for good reason

I would answer the question,
"jacket or back inflate" first.
Here on ScubaBoard you will hear a strong push toward back inflate systems. It's just the way we are. We feel strongly.
Yet, sales of jacket bcd's are HUGE, and re: your comment about consistent with what you were exposed to in training, it was probably a jacket.

Rent a back inflate and try it in the pool. Really! There is a difference in how you settle in the water at the surface, especially if you overinflate the bc. But there is also a wonderful difference in how a back inflate holds you while diving: horizontal. It's why we love them (or back plate and wing - the next step).

My advice, try a Scubapro Knighthawk, or if travel is key and you can't buy two, try a Litehawk. Or whatever equivalent is sold by your chosen vendor in another brand. That'll get you your hundred dives, plus an exposure to back inflate when you're ready to drink the backplate&wing Kool-Aid.

If you hate the LiteHawk, then a jacket will do just fine.

My 2¢

zeagle is a good choice because the resale is good if you move on to a bpw, especially if you get a deal on one when you buy it so you won't be losing much money. one of the medium lift ones like the brigade/covert or the express tech if you don't plan on diving wet in new england.

or just a get a bpw from the start, especially if you are going to dive locally in new england.

I moved my wife to a BP/W a few years ago when she needed a new BC (and it was a complete battle). No, she will never go beyond single tank recreational diving. I will say that she has come to enjoy the "openness" of the harness compared to what her jacket had been (though she will never admit it).

Each have their own likes.

My daughter immediately after certification got a BP/W, and cannot imagine ever being in a jacket style again...

As Tom said, it is more to what you like than anything else. They all do a job (but slightly differently).

1. doesn't matter, they all inflate and deflate and strap to your back. That's all that matters. Consistent with what you're trained with is irrelevant
2. depends on what you value
3. no reason you can't purchase with the end in mind. While you may need to change it if you go to a different style of diving *doubles, sidemount, rebreather*, there is no reason that the style of bc you purchase or a significant amount of components can't be used. If you don't change style, there is no reason that the bc you purchase can't last thousands of dives.

There are probably thousands of threads on this forum with this question and the answers on this site are very predictable, for good reason
Agree. I bought my first and only one used 13 years ago. Pretty much based on price. Other considerations may be pocket size (for putting stuff you find), number & location of D rings, and other stuff related to comfort.

I would answer the question,
"jacket or back inflate" first.
Here on ScubaBoard you will hear a strong push toward back inflate systems. It's just the way we are. We feel strongly.
Yet, sales of jacket bcd's are HUGE, and re: your comment about consistent with what you were exposed to in training, it was probably a jacket.

Rent a back inflate and try it in the pool. Really! There is a difference in how you settle in the water at the surface, especially if you overinflate the bc. But there is also a wonderful difference in how a back inflate holds you while diving: horizontal. It's why we love them (or back plate and wing - the next step).

My advice, try a Scubapro Knighthawk, or if travel is key and you can't buy two, try a Litehawk. Or whatever equivalent is sold by your chosen vendor in another brand. That'll get you your hundred dives, plus an exposure to back inflate when you're ready to drink the backplate&wing Kool-Aid.

If you hate the LiteHawk, then a jacket will do just fine.

My 2¢

better than the lighthawk for travel but more expensive is the hydros pro. I still have a new L knighthawk that I made 3 dives in. Saw the hydros and with a 20% off sale I bit the bullet and bought that instead. LOVE it. and it dries instantly out of the water and its flat as a pancake and lighter than lighthawk im pretty sure and modular and has standard weight belt pouches or you can use a harness and crotch strap that comes with it and bingo is a backplate and wing

I am a relatively new diver (logged about 75). Mr PH and I bought a Ladyhawk and a Hydros. Both are back rather than jacket inflates. I personally had no issues adjusting to floating on the surface with the back inflate after training in the jacket. Both by ScubaPro which is the brand we did our training in and also dived several times as rental equipment on liveaboards.

While I read the reviews here I formed the view that for the types of divers we were a large name BC was preferable for us. I know there is a lot of support for a BPW here but I have no problem with admitting I'm pleased with my 'standard' BCD from ScubaPro.

Having dived the back inflate I have to admit I won't go back to a jacket style. I initially tried Bella but it did not fit well for me. I do love how my Ladyhawk fits and once I mastered dumping the air I love diving in her (she is a girl...).

With the benefit of hindsight I think I should have bought Hydros for me as well for the benefits set out by Dale. Ladyhawk feels great but we are vacation travelling divers most of the time and Hydros is great for that.

TLDR - Hydros or Lady/Knight Hawk by ScubaPro are potenitally options for your requirments.

My first "BCD" was a plastic backplate similar to this.
Dive-tank-plate-cylinder-holder-Tank-Harness-Backpack-Back-Plate-Pack-SCUBA-Straps-tank-holder-black.jpg_640x640.jpg

After a few hundred dives I got a weekend job at a dive shop. During my years there I bought a jacket BC followed by a Dacor RIG "tech" BC. Both were junk. I eventually went to a stainless backplate and wing and have been diving happily ever after.

Back
Top Bottom