BC for the big man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second (or third by this time) the Zeagle Ranger....I've lost 40 pounds so far and it still fits. I can use it diving wet or dry and just have to make some adjustments. If I lose the rest of the weight that I want to I will eventually have to get a new one...but I still have some adjustments that can be made right now. I have seen my BC fit someone that is 250 (me now) as well as someone that is about 330 (a guy doing a discover scuba)....

i am 6'2 and 150kg, i use an XL cressi aquapro 5, bit tight round the belly but it soon loosens up underwater, am seriously considering a wing and backplate.

One of the nice things about a backplate and harness is that, if you are successful in losing the weight you want to lose, you'll still be able to fit in your gear, because it will adjust as much as you do.

Big Al, I am 300 lbs and 6'2". I now wear a BP/W, but an Oceanic Probe or OceanPro in size Large was big enough for me. I have a 56 inch chest. an XL was too big, They are big big bc's

If you want to stick with a jacket-style BC, some of us big guys like the Aqualung/SeaQuest ProQD. I'm 240 with a 53" chest using an XL model that fits me just fine - and they make an XXL even larger.

It's one of the few jacket-style BC's that won't "squeeze" you as it inflates - it kind of opens outward as it fills up. Don't just take my word for it, check around ScubaBoard for some reviews & personal experiences with the ProQD and you'll see generally favorable reviews for a jacket BC.

I swear anytime someone asks a question about BCD's the BP/W group come out.

Shocking isn't it. :shocked2:

A question about Buoyancy Compensators is posted and those nervy BP&W users feel the need to add to the discussion and mention a particular style of BC. (That very well may suit the OP's needs)

You'd think they would have learned their place by now.....:wink:

Tobin

Shocking isn't it. :shocked2:

A question about Buoyancy Compensators is posted and those nervy BP&W users feel the need to add to the discussion and mention a particular style of BC. (That very well may suit the OP's needs)

You'd think they would have learned their place by now.....:wink:

Tobin

Ok....I have done quite a bit of thinking on the BP/W subject. I have to take into account the sample of divers that respond. Most "vacation" rec divers don't spend hours on end reading and responding to posts on ScubaBoard. So, I feel that the majority of people reading and responding on here are more serious (and probably quite a few tech) divers. Please understand that I'm talking in generalities and not absolutes. I am a new diver and the prospect of trying to customize a BP/W to what I need is very daunting. I don't know what I need at this point. I dive with my wife and friend who are new divers also. I don't have the advantage of a seasoned veteran of the underwater world to guide me through every equipment purchase. So I found a quality product that works and fits me well. I feel that I will eventually move to a BP/W (or at least a back inflate) but, for now the fun is learning what I need and don't need. BTW....I'm 6'4" and weigh 285...I have the AquaLung/SeaQuest Pro QD size XXL and it fits me like a glove.

Ok....I have done quite a bit of thinking on the BP/W subject. I have to take into account the sample of divers that respond. Most "vacation" rec divers don't spend hours on end reading and responding to posts on ScubaBoard. So, I feel that the majority of people reading and responding on here are more serious (and probably quite a few tech) divers.

Most BP&W's sold today are used by recreational, not Tech Divers.

I am a new diver and the prospect of trying to customize a BP/W to what I need is very daunting.

It can be very daunting, many choices. I spend a fair portion of every day guiding new divers through this very maze.

So I found a quality product that works and fits me well.

Great! Enjoy, keep diving!

I feel that I will eventually move to a BP/W (or at least a back inflate) but, for now the fun is learning what I need and don't need.

Although I design, manufacturer and sell BP&W's I have often acknowledged they are not a universal solution for every diver and every environment.

I do remain confused and amused at how readily some object to BP&W divers simply reporting their own good experiences with their own personal gear.

It's almost like the "Jacket Crowd" thinks there should be some sort of quota system, i.e. BP&W's can only be mentioned on every 10th "What BC should I buy thread"

I guess the BP&W enthusiasts need form a group and learn to self censor. :wink:

Tobin

Ok....I have done quite a bit of thinking on the BP/W subject. I have to take into account the sample of divers that respond. Most "vacation" rec divers don't spend hours on end reading and responding to posts on ScubaBoard. So, I feel that the majority of people reading and responding on here are more serious (and probably quite a few tech) divers. Please understand that I'm talking in generalities and not absolutes. I am a new diver and the prospect of trying to customize a BP/W to what I need is very daunting. I don't know what I need at this point. I dive with my wife and friend who are new divers also. I don't have the advantage of a seasoned veteran of the underwater world to guide me through every equipment purchase. So I found a quality product that works and fits me well. I feel that I will eventually move to a BP/W (or at least a back inflate) but, for now the fun is learning what I need and don't need. BTW....I'm 6'4" and weigh 285...I have the AquaLung/SeaQuest Pro QD size XXL and it fits me like a glove.

Customizing a bp/w is actually quite easy. There's a bunch of websites that show you how to thread them. It took me about 90 minutes or so to thread it, position my d-rings exactly where they would work for me, and get everything adjusted to fit and trim up (I'm on the small side so I ended up trimming about 4 ft of webbing). After my first dive, i had a couple of minor adjustments to make, and then all was well with it. Haven't had to make any adjustments since.

Back
Top Bottom